Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Do you like your engine?

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well JoeNox I'm happy that you enjoy the 4 cly engine, I have a 2006 HHR with the 180Hp 2.4 EcoTec engine. I purchased the HHR new and have put 55k on it so far. I like driving it however I have always thought it a bit underpowered. The turbo version was in the future and if I would have bought the SS if available. We bought a 2008 Equinox with the 6 cly & 6 speed. 268 thundering Chevrolet horsepower. It really made the car fun to drive. So much fun that we have put almost 40k on it so far.
Now I don't demand stump pulling torque, but I do like the feeling all of those ponies starting to pull at around 4500 rpm. I feel that the 3.6-Liter VVT Engine is going to be a classic. The direct fuel injection and the variable valve timing make this engine world class and using that engine on a daily basis proves it to me.
Old October 28th, 2010, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by artr2
Well JoeNox I'm happy that you enjoy the 4 cly engine, I have a 2006 HHR with the 180Hp 2.4 EcoTec engine. I purchased the HHR new and have put 55k on it so far. I like driving it however I have always thought it a bit underpowered. The turbo version was in the future and if I would have bought the SS if available. We bought a 2008 Equinox with the 6 cly & 6 speed. 268 thundering Chevrolet horsepower. It really made the car fun to drive. So much fun that we have put almost 40k on it so far.
Now I don't demand stump pulling torque, but I do like the feeling all of those ponies starting to pull at around 4500 rpm. I feel that the 3.6-Liter VVT Engine is going to be a classic. The direct fuel injection and the variable valve timing make this engine world class and using that engine on a daily basis proves it to me.
I've seen posts on other forums by people who have owned the HHR with the 2.4 and then bought a 2010/2011 Equinox with what they thought was the same engine...and were surprised that it felt smoother and more powerful in a larger/heavier vehicle. The difference is the direct fuel injection and 6 speed tranny..the only time I have ever felt it was "underpowered" was a single incident where I was climbing a fairly steep grade and made a move to go around a slow moving 18 wheeler....but I had a full load of passengers and a bit of luggage. For everyday communting the 2.4 is more than just adequate...and has the bonus of returning great gas mileage after the engine is broken in.

Also, the 3.6 V6 you are talking about is a Honda engine (a rare and short lived joint venture for GM) and from what I hear it really is a very good engine. The difference between the 2.4 4cyl and the current 3.0 V6 is much smaller providing there is no towing involved.
Old October 28th, 2010, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Hi JoeNox;

I have nothing against 4 cylinder engines but I find them way too underpowered in the Equinox. I might be talked into a turbo charged version but with 5 passengers and luggage I prefer the six cylinder or V-8. The six's and eight's these days are way more efficient and far from being gas guzzlers from the early 1990s. I prefer to be able to merge onto the freeway without giving my car a 30 day notice to get up to speed. I have also found the 2.4l a lot noisier getting around here. Western Washington, has
a lot of hills and mountains and the 4 cylinder on the road test drive did not work for me under these conditions. Enjoy what you drive. I do not race but I like the low end torque of the six cylinder Equinox. BTW you should drive my Ford Thunderbird 4.6l V-8. Prime example of what can be done to have decent power yet great highway mileage.
Old October 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vlcakwolf
Hi JoeNox;

I have nothing against 4 cylinder engines but I find them way too underpowered in the Equinox. I might be talked into a turbo charged version but with 5 passengers and luggage I prefer the six cylinder or V-8. The six's and eight's these days are way more efficient and far from being gas guzzlers from the early 1990s. I prefer to be able to merge onto the freeway without giving my car a 30 day notice to get up to speed. I have also found the 2.4l a lot noisier getting around here. Western Washington, has
a lot of hills and mountains and the 4 cylinder on the road test drive did not work for me under these conditions. Enjoy what you drive. I do not race but I like the low end torque of the six cylinder Equinox. BTW you should drive my Ford Thunderbird 4.6l V-8. Prime example of what can be done to have decent power yet great highway mileage.
I don't have anything against V6-8's either since I've owned a few...in fact when I initially started shopping for a smaller SUV I had a V6 in mind and didn't expect any 4cyl to impress me (and most that I test drove didn't) but the 4cyl Equinox I tested had about 1400 miles on it was was loosened up enough to impress me. I test drove the V6 Nox, V6 Escape, V6 RAV4...and didn't feel that any of them had enough extra grunt to justify the extra cost and gas mileage hit. If I lived in a mountainous/hilly area (I'm in a part of Texas that is relatively flat) then I would have chosen the V6. When I considered my main useage, (urban commuting, mostly just a driver and no towing) then the excellent gas mileage for a vehicle of this size won out. If gas prices don't rise much in the next 5-6 years then I may find myself wishing I had the V6 for rare occasions when it would be nice...but for now I'm happy with my choice.
Old October 30th, 2010, 1:37 AM
CF Beginner

Hi JoeNox;

Glad you enjoying the drive. In my life I have had from the extra lean like Geo Metro (very fuel efficient), Datsun 1200, Toyota's, Fords, Chevy, etc.. My daughter owns a 97 C230 Benz, now that is an example of matched transmission and a four cylinder car. Quite comfortable, and enough power even for me. However at this stage of my life I prefer comfort and good music. For the occasional fun ride the Thunderbird will do. In my younger days I certainly enjoyed messing around with my Camaro, no one believed it was only a v-6 after all the mods. Drive safely and enjoy what ever you ride.
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Artr32 is my opinion too. Things you should consider: Will you tow/haul with it and do you live in hill country? Looked at 4 cyl Camrys/Malibus because that is what they were pushing. Nothing wrong with 4's if that is all you need. In Az the trip to Flagstaff is at 7000 ft. First trip there proved that I needed the 3.5- 6 cyl. Keep it in 3 for a good part of the trip. Use your own judgment