Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Engine Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2019, 2:27 PM
ole
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Scan Tool

I have a 2007 Equinox, I'm looking for a engine scan tool. If you are using one, how has it worked out for you. do you like it and what brand is it.
So many out there and not sure which one to buy. I'm looking for something that will read and clear codes, help with engine diagnostic etc.

Old January 5th, 2019, 6:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ole
I have a 2007 Equinox, I'm looking for a engine scan tool. If you are using one, how has it worked out for you. do you like it and what brand is it.
So many out there and not sure which one to buy. I'm looking for something that will read and clear codes, help with engine diagnostic etc.
I use an Innova 3160g scan-tool. It works great for what I do. If I were a professional ASE technician, I would purchase a much more expensive unit that can do more, but
its a waste of money to buy something like that for the common man who does not work on vehicles everyday.
Old January 5th, 2019, 7:02 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are exploring options and have money to invest in technology tools, lots of options are available. Generic OBD2 scan tools don't cost much, and they are limited to a pretty basic set of options. All of the manufacturers have to provide data communication to a basic scanner, part of keeping the technology serviceable. Where it gets interesting is that the manufacturers have taken the basic data buss and have enhanced it, so there is an entire different set of data communications that a basic scanner cannot interpret. Staying within a certain number of years of production still keeps the cost low, but upgrade subscriptions can be pricey.

There are also data links and programs that will run on a computer interface / USB.

So lots of options to consider.
Old January 5th, 2019, 11:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I have the Zurich ZR13 from Harbor Freight. I paid $170 for it with a coupon. It does most things DIYers would need it to do. It can retrieve all four types of codes (including ABS & airbag codes) - not just powertrain codes like most cheap scanners. It is also able to retrieve OEM-specific enhanced OBD II codes. The package doesn't mention this so it was a pleasant surprise. Lastly, it is able to display live data while the engine is running.

My only complaint with it is that the interface and buttons are not very intuitive, but after a quick read of the manual it's easy to figure out.
Old January 6th, 2019, 6:23 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by ruley73
I have the Zurich ZR13 from Harbor Freight. I paid $170 for it with a coupon. It does most things DIYers would need it to do. It can retrieve all four types of codes (including ABS & airbag codes) - not just powertrain codes like most cheap scanners. It is also able to retrieve OEM-specific enhanced OBD II codes. The package doesn't mention this so it was a pleasant surprise. Lastly, it is able to display live data while the engine is running.

My only complaint with it is that the interface and buttons are not very intuitive, but after a quick read of the manual it's easy to figure out.
It looks much as my Innova does. Same things too!
Old January 6th, 2019, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

-best laptop based scan tool is from autoenginuity.com. It will do everything a factory scan tool can do. You can access powertrain, body, chassis and undefined codes. You buy what you need $300 does chevy or 1300 for all brands

-creader vi from launch can do powertrain codes and can be had for $100
Old January 6th, 2019, 11:22 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
-best laptop based scan tool is from autoenginuity.com. It will do everything a factory scan tool can do. You can access powertrain, body, chassis and undefined codes. You buy what you need $300 does chevy or 1300 for all brands

-creader vi from launch can do powertrain codes and can be had for $100
Thanks Tech2! Those are good things to keep in mind. I just need to buy a laptop!
Old January 8th, 2019, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

nice thing about autoenginuity...updates are cheap. updates for a snap on or otc tool are $1000.

autorepairmanuals.biz have a good selection of scan tools to browse over. Some good deals, some stuff is pricey. I have bought trans repair manuals from them and had good service.
Old July 24th, 2021, 4:50 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry for open this old thread again... but I just wanna help in case anybody still looking for a suitable scan tool. The same with me last month and after reading many many reviews on the Internet, I chose a Bluedriver which is aimed at everyday car owners and drivers. Don't need to be an expert in car repair to know everything the scanner show, very great. Just wanna say to everybody here that it's worth investing in a professional scan tool but anyway, it depends on your budget. I was finally persuaded to choose a blue driver after reading this post: https://www.obdadvisor.com/professio...tive-scanners/
Old August 3rd, 2021, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default "Error Codes" vs 'Menu Headings" like $7E8

I know this is a really old thread, but someone someday will benefit from some actual facts that everyone was too busy pretending to know it all to actually explain:
1. No, you don't need to go spend several hundred dollars on a "professional" code reader. You just need to learn how to use the one you have. And Google. (Do make sure it's compatible with YOUR car.)
2. $7E8 is NOT an "error code." It's more like a file menu heading. IF you are seeing the check engine light, and you scan for codes using ANY code reader compatible with your car, and you see something like $7E8 or $78A, that's telling you WHICH module may be throwing codes. Scroll down to that "heading" and click on it. See what happens? THOSE are the error code(s) being thrown by that module.
3. Depending on your car, you may see these "file headings" even when those modules aren't throwing any codes. Click on them, and see if any codes pop up.
4. For example, my 2016 Chevy Trax always shows $7E8 and other modules, whether they are throwing any codes, or not. So, if I see the check engine light, I know I have to check all those modules/file headings in order to make sure I have "read" all the codes.
5. The mechanic at your shop MIGHT have been right--it is, technically, normal for those "file headings" to show up on your code reader, depending on your specific vehicle. BUT, that does not automatically mean that those modules are not throwing codes. You need to click on them and double check to really be sure (especially on a basic consumer code reader.) But that's literally just one tiny step. It's not something you have to go spend hundreds of dollars to do.