Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

excessive road noise

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2017, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default excessive road noise

I have a 2015 equinox w/40k miles. Lately the road noise has become unbearable. it is a roaring sound that is worse on certain types of surface. Dealer checked tires even swapped with a set off of a new unit, same noise, checked wheel bearings there okay. Anyone have thoughts on remedy. Thanks Jerry
Old November 14th, 2017, 1:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

does the noise become louder or quieter when the vehicle does a long sweeping turn at hwy speed...ie lane change left and then back right
Old November 15th, 2017, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default roaring noise

Thanks for replying. The sound does not change doing as you suggest. The noise is louder depending on the road surface, even then it will come and go. It seems like the road noise is being amplified. I noticed a post 2 years or so ago that a guy had a bad spring bushing he said it was better when they replaced, but he didn't say it was the cure.
Old November 15th, 2017, 6:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it does the same way with 2 sets of tires than it sounds like road noise ! did you try it on a different road ?
Old November 15th, 2017, 7:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Does Your Equinox have the 2.4L four cylinder engine? If so, your Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) may be malfunctioning. You can try removing the Noise Control Module (#7) fuse from the interior fuse block to see if this affects the sound that you are hearing.

The system uses two microphones in the headliner to listen for very specific sounds (lower frequencies; mostly under 100Hz) to cancel out. One mic is above the driver and the other is somewhere in the rear passenger/cargo area. The subwoofer in the cargo area then produces an out of phase sound to cancel out noise that is picked up by the microphones. The ANC also monitors engine speed, and is most active between 1000 and 1500 RPM. Normally, at highway speeds it doesn't do much.

Again, only 2010 and newer models equipped with a four cylinder engine utilize ANC.
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:24 PM
CF Active Member

I recently put new Goodyear Assurance tires on my Equinox and could not believe the noise they created. It does very on the coarseness of the road surface. I did find out that the amount of road noise seems to drop by lowering the tire pressure to 27 psi, which is below the recommended pressure. I don't recommend running with low tire pressure but it might be something you could check.
Old November 16th, 2017, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Ruley, thanks for answering I do have the 4 cyl and I removed the fuse as you suggested and to my surprise the noise was considerably less, even on our roughest road surface. I assume this means the ANC module is bad. Am I correct? Can you tell me if this is something I can fix or must I take it to the dealer?

Thanks