Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

flaking paint

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2021, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry flaking paint

I have a 2013 steel green Equinox. When I bought it there was a bubble under the paint. I pointed it out to the dealer but they said it would be worse if I had them repaint it because it wouldn't be factory paint. Well now the paint is flaking off all over it. The bottoms on the doors (only on passenger side) the top edge of all 4 wheel wells, the tailgate and a place or two on the back quarter panel. Has anyone else had this? It isn't like it just rusts. The pain literally flakes off. I suppose I'm going to have to pay to get it painted but I was wondering if anyone else had either an Equinox or a steel green vehicle they were having paint issues. I live in MN so I know the first thing they are going to say is salt. I have a 2003 Silverado sitting here with absolutely no rust. I'll agree the salt is hard on it but the salt doesn't make it just flake off and I'm very diligent about keeping it washed.
Old April 23rd, 2021, 10:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

If you could post a pix , it would help some.
The area between the outer fender and the splash guard,inner fender, allows dust, dirt and salt to accumulate and remain there only to get activated by high humidity, road splash and just plain moisture. It works from the inside out. If this is what is taking place.One way to slow it down is to regularly wash away the accumulation.