Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

FWD / 2WD 2007 Equinox Is Throwing A P0404 and P1779! LOUD AS A JET WHEN DRIVING!

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2024, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWD / 2WD 2007 Equinox Is Throwing A P0404 and P1779! LOUD AS A JET WHEN DRIVING!

So I just bought a 07 Equinox from my boss for little to nothing just cause he had no use for it and it has been sitting for about 6 or 7 months because his daughter stopped driving it because the starter went out, So I replaced the starter and it crunk right up and the first thing I see in the dash is service stabilitrak and service traction control, I hook a code reader up immediately and it comes back egr codes. So I go to drive it home and it shifts into gears fine but when I go to accelerate it just starts screaming. Almost like it’s stuck in 1st gear and won’t go into overdrive but I can see the rpms drop when I hit about 15 and 25-30 . So I drove it home at about 45 mph and the whole time I thought I was about to blow it up, Sounded like I was going 50 mph in 1st gear. So I took it to tires plus and they inspected it for me and they told me it’s the front differential. I’m pretty inclined when it comes to mechanic work but I’m hoping they are wrong I do not want to have to crack the trans open. So when I got it back to work I ran a diagnostic with our fix finder and it was all EGR Valve Codes (P0404, P0405) and then at the bottom it said P1779 so I look it up and it’s got something to do with the transmission, I’ve looked around on the forums and I’m guessing could just be low on fluid, or maybe a torque converter? Honestly not sure what to think it’s so loud it’s unbearable to drive and when I turn the wheel to the left it almost grinds and clunks like a bearing or something would but nothings loose, when I turn the wheel right the noise almost goes away but it’s still there. Cv axles are tight sway bar links tight everything looks okay. Now mind you it’s been sitting for 6 months so the brakes aren’t too bad and the rotors are still silver Under the rust they built up from just sitting. So I drove it home and rotors smoothed out on the way there. Tires are brand new from tires plus right before it got parked for 6 months. I don’t know what else it could be but the trans fluid being low. I haven’t checked it yet tho to find out honestly. I’m going to tomorrow when I get off but I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had this problem but I can’t find it described how I would describe it anywhere online and when I do they say it’s the hub bearings and It would be a blessing if that’s it and I’m wrong. Just need some help or input on this ASAP PLEASE ! Im only 20 and but I been working on cars since I was little and I’m a manager at autozone but I started there when I was flipping vehicles so I could get the discount😂But I’m not as experienced as a actual mechanic 😂 I’m A honda man myself and what I mean is I wouldn’t trust my self to do my own timing on my bone stock 02 accord😂but you can’t beat a good running and remaned motor for $700! Now on the dash it’s got 240 something but the motor runs damn good! Until I hit the gas pedal and start to drive. the faster I go the louder it gets! I bought it cause Itd be a great car for my daughter! She’s due June 21st and I just wanted a bit bigger of a vehicle for her and the warden 😂 just scared I’m about to have to drop the transmission 🤦‍♂️ any input will help! Before I go spending all the money starting with pads and rotors and hub assembly’s I’d much rather see what yall did with yours! Thank you if you would please text me or call me if you have any clue what I could do! Just let me know your from the forum! [personal info removed. Never post it online. You need to check this page and nobody will call you. -mod] Thank you once again! -Gabriel

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; May 5th, 2024 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 5th, 2024, 12:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabrieljude
So I just bought a 07 Equinox from my boss for little to nothing just cause he had no use for it and it has been sitting for about 6 or 7 months because his daughter stopped driving it because the starter went out, So I replaced the starter and it crunk right up and the first thing I see in the dash is service stabilitrak and service traction control, I hook a code reader up immediately and it comes back egr codes. So I go to drive it home and it shifts into gears fine but when I go to accelerate it just starts screaming. Almost like it’s stuck in 1st gear and won’t go into overdrive but I can see the rpms drop when I hit about 15 and 25-30 . So I drove it home at about 45 mph and the whole time I thought I was about to blow it up, Sounded like I was going 50 mph in 1st gear. So I took it to tires plus and they inspected it for me and they told me it’s the front differential. I’m pretty inclined when it comes to mechanic work but I’m hoping they are wrong I do not want to have to crack the trans open. So when I got it back to work I ran a diagnostic with our fix finder and it was all EGR Valve Codes (P0404, P0405) and then at the bottom it said P1779 so I look it up and it’s got something to do with the transmission, I’ve looked around on the forums and I’m guessing could just be low on fluid, or maybe a torque converter? Honestly not sure what to think it’s so loud it’s unbearable to drive and when I turn the wheel to the left it almost grinds and clunks like a bearing or something would but nothings loose, when I turn the wheel right the noise almost goes away but it’s still there. Cv axles are tight sway bar links tight everything looks okay. Now mind you it’s been sitting for 6 months so the brakes aren’t too bad and the rotors are still silver Under the rust they built up from just sitting. So I drove it home and rotors smoothed out on the way there. Tires are brand new from tires plus right before it got parked for 6 months. I don’t know what else it could be but the trans fluid being low. I haven’t checked it yet tho to find out honestly. I’m going to tomorrow when I get off but I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had this problem but I can’t find it described how I would describe it anywhere online and when I do they say it’s the hub bearings and It would be a blessing if that’s it and I’m wrong. Just need some help or input on this ASAP PLEASE ! Im only 20 and but I been working on cars since I was little and I’m a manager at autozone but I started there when I was flipping vehicles so I could get the discount😂But I’m not as experienced as a actual mechanic 😂 I’m A honda man myself and what I mean is I wouldn’t trust my self to do my own timing on my bone stock 02 accord😂but you can’t beat a good running and remaned motor for $700! Now on the dash it’s got 240 something but the motor runs damn good! Until I hit the gas pedal and start to drive. the faster I go the louder it gets! I bought it cause Itd be a great car for my daughter! She’s due June 21st and I just wanted a bit bigger of a vehicle for her and the warden 😂 just scared I’m about to have to drop the transmission 🤦‍♂️ any input will help! Before I go spending all the money starting with pads and rotors and hub assembly’s I’d much rather see what yall did with yours! Thank you if you would please text me or call me if you have any clue what I could do! Just let me know your from the forum! Here’s my Phone Number! 706-871-9872 Thank you once again! -Gabriel
The metal EGR pipe that goes between the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve probably developed a crack. I wouldn't worry about the transmission code. It often pops up when EGR-related issues are present. I'd replace the EGR valve and pipe and go from there. A bad EGR valve will also cause the Service Stabilitak/Service Traction Control messages on these vehicles. Dorman makes the pipe (p/n 598-201) and it's fairly cheap and easy to replace. Just be careful when removing the pipe bolts from the exhaust manifold. They will be very rusty and brittle. The EGR codes could just be from the leaky pipe, but the EGR valves fail often enough that I'd just go ahead and replace it too. I replaced ours 3 times over the course of a 15.5 year ownership.

The transmission is made by Aisin and rarely has any issues. As long as you periodically change the fluid it will outlast the rest of the vehicle. Only use Toyota T-IV or equivalent fluid. It doesn't use Dexron VI like most other GM vehicles. Ours shifted perfectly fine at 220k miles when I sold it.

Last edited by ruley73; May 5th, 2024 at 12:35 PM.