Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2022, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition issues

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox. I have loved the thing since I got it last summer. Over the winter we started having issues with the throttle body and parked it until we could get it fixed. Now I have another problem. About a month ago, I attempted to start my equinox only to find the battery was 100% dead. The key even got stuck. While looking for a safe means to remove the key, my husband messed with it, and just after I found the fix, he brought me the key. Only issue now is the ignition switch is stuck in the acc position..I can't put the key back in it, and I'm afraid to charge the battery or jump the car like that...what do I need to do or what can I do?
Old June 20th, 2022, 11:45 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleoridy
I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox. I have loved the thing since I got it last summer. Over the winter we started having issues with the throttle body and parked it until we could get it fixed. Now I have another problem. About a month ago, I attempted to start my equinox only to find the battery was 100% dead. The key even got stuck. While looking for a safe means to remove the key, my husband messed with it, and just after I found the fix, he brought me the key. Only issue now is the ignition switch is stuck in the acc position..I can't put the key back in it, and I'm afraid to charge the battery or jump the car like that...what do I need to do or what can I do?
What you experienced is normal. There is solenoid connected to the the ignition lock that must be energized to allow the ignition key to be turned off. You'll need to connect a temporary power supply to the vehicle to turn the ignition off. Any modest 12V power supply like a jump starter pack, a set of jumper cables connected to another vehicle/battery, or even a 10A battery charger should work. Just make sure all the accessories are turned off - specifically the headlights, HVAC blower, and even the dome light. You should be able to easily turn the ignition off without fully inserting the key while the power is connected to it.
Old June 21st, 2022, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
What you experienced is normal. There is solenoid connected to the the ignition lock that must be energized to allow the ignition key to be turned off. You'll need to connect a temporary power supply to the vehicle to turn the ignition off. Any modest 12V power supply like a jump starter pack, a set of jumper cables connected to another vehicle/battery, or even a 10A battery charger should work. Just make sure all the accessories are turned off - specifically the headlights, HVAC blower, and even the dome light. You should be able to easily turn the ignition off without fully inserting the key while the power is connected to it.
Thank you! We got that issue fixed...now when we attempt to charge the battery it says it's fully charged...when we attempt to start the car, the temp gauge and the tack swing through all the ranges repeatedly. The high beam symbol also flickers like crazy. The tack never really worked right...until my brother in law messed with something under the dash. We asked him what he messed with, but he won't tell me or show me...any suggestions?