Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Jump Start on 2018 Equinox did not work - Resolved

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2022, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jump Start on 2018 Equinox did not work - Resolved

Dear Friends,
Just wanted to share my experience: my 2018 Chevrolet Equinox LT 1.5T AWD was not starting today after it was parked at airport parking lot for around 9 days. Never had issues with the battery before and always serviced on time. The weather (27 degF)/ snow over the days might have something to do.

When I initially tried the lights on the dash and lights seemed bright enough. The dash indicated that it was “low battery” and going to “battery saver mode”. Powered off the Auto lights and Audio system. Tried couple of times the and the starter did not even click.

We tried to jump start with a tow truck, and it did not budge. The Parking staff were gracious and patient enough to let the battery charge for 15 minutes and tried again. Got a portable Noco Booster jump start, did do anything. Connected the tow truck and Noco booster did not do anything. Let it charge for 15 more minutes and still did not do anything.

Finally got another tow truck with a generator, and still the starter did not click. Finally we gave up. Decided to get it towed.

We had to get another Tow truck, this gentleman also tried starting with a larger jump start kit and the car could be started. Had him towed to my parking garage. I was suspecting the relay or fuse to be a problem. Could not get any relays at Local Dealership or Auto Stores.

Got a AGM H6 battery from Walmart (these are great ones - 4 yr replacement) and replaced it. The replacing was harder, because it had all that wiring harness around.

Once done the car started with zero issues. Hooray !!!

Thinking about it, should have disconnected the terminals from the dead battery and reconnected to jump start. May have saved a battery and got some extended use. But seems like 5 year original battery was End of Life.

Cannot comprehend that 4 professionals attempted the jump start and it could not start.

Glad it was the battery only and not other parts, else this car would be a big black boulder for me.

Happy holidays!!!