Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2014, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2008 Equinox; Could hardly get it to dealer for long-awaited service appointment.
<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" SIZE="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Nov 24: Very concerned about overlapping issues, both occurring randomly since approx. Aug; now disabling the vehicle's operation. First problem is ignition circuit; prevents starting approx. 50% of the time; Trouble Code read "secondary ignition circuit fault" (sound familiar, GM??). The second problem (when the vehicle starts) has three warnings: "Engine power is reduced", "service stabilitrak," and "service traction control." I have a dealer appointment for troubleshooting Dec 1; frustrated that it was nearly a two week wait for a troubleshooting appointment for an unserviceable vehicle.
Have NHTSA issues 10628255 and 10659384 open on this issue/vehicle.

Nov 30 update - required 3 hours and OnStar assistance to get vehicle started to take to Pinkerton Chevrolet/Lynchburg VA for diagnostic appointment; OnStar provided OBD Codes C0561 and P1682; P1682 seems the more likely culprit.
Old November 30th, 2014, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Make Government aware of need for recall..

File your safety complaint about GM's starting/ignition/Stabilitrak/reduced power problems at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ - If GM won't acknowledge problems, maybe NHTSA can "help them" acknowledge them...
Old November 30th, 2014, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Make Government aware of need for recall..
<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" SIZE="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
File your safety complaint about GM's starting/ignition/Stabilitrak/reduced power problems at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ - If GM won't acknowledge problems, maybe NHTSA can "help them" acknowledge them...
Old December 2nd, 2014, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 Terrain SLE and last night on my ride up 95 my truck screen popped up with the 'engine power reduced' and 'service stabilitrak' indicators, scared me to death! Is this something that is covered by a recall or a fortune to fix? Im terrified to take it to the dealer to find out just yet. I should mention that it has 91,000 miles
Old December 2nd, 2014, 6:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldevil
I have a 2011 Terrain SLE and last night on my ride up 95 my truck screen popped up with the 'engine power reduced' and 'service stabilitrak' indicators, scared me to death! Is this something that is covered by a recall or a fortune to fix? Im terrified to take it to the dealer to find out just yet. I should mention that it has 91,000 miles

Hello bulldevil,

We are truly sorry to hear that you experienced this concern while driving. We'd be glad to discuss further with you and investigate further. Please send a private message to us if you're interested!

Andraya
GM Customer Care
Old December 14th, 2014, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Multiple issues just popped up

Have had my 2008 Equinox for a year now at 61,ooo miles. Stabilatrac off and service stabilatrac light coming on at random times. The ABS light usually comes on with it. I live in an area with limerock roads and was told that the speed sensors are getting gummed up with dirt and could be causing my issue. I work at an automotive shop and other guys have seen this happen. The sensors could also have damage causing a signal issue. I have to use an in depth diagnostic tester to check which sensors are not working properly. I'm hoping that just cleaning them will help, but might need to replace them.

I am also having an issue with the airbag system not recognizing a passenger in the front seat. I'm not sure what is causing that. It is random and only happens maybe 2 times out of 10.

Last edited by carlfarr44; December 14th, 2014 at 9:23 PM.
Old December 28th, 2014, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Finally got my nox fixed. Ended up taking it to a local dealer and come to find out, my vehicle's EGR valve had to be a GM part. Replaced with an actual GM EGR valve and problem fixed. Total cost was $210. Got free labor and a discount on diagnostic fee. It's cheaper to buy GM part off internet but oh well. Already replaced it once with an autozone part and didn't feel like doing ourselves again. Good luck everyone!
Old December 28th, 2014, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by carlfarr44
Have had my 2008 Equinox for a year now at 61,ooo miles. Stabilatrac off and service stabilatrac light coming on at random times. The ABS light usually comes on with it. I live in an area with limerock roads and was told that the speed sensors are getting gummed up with dirt and could be causing my issue. I work at an automotive shop and other guys have seen this happen. The sensors could also have damage causing a signal issue. I have to use an in depth diagnostic tester to check which sensors are not working properly. I'm hoping that just cleaning them will help, but might need to replace them.

I am also having an issue with the airbag system not recognizing a passenger in the front seat. I'm not sure what is causing that. It is random and only happens maybe 2 times out of 10.

Sounds like wheel sensors to me. I had a buick that had bad sensors and kicked on the same lights. Not sure about the airbag issue though.
Old December 29th, 2014, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Many Service Issues

My 2010 Equinox has roughly 47k miles on it, and recently has been having the check engine light and stabilitrak/traction control messages coming on intermittently. I am scheduling an appointment with my closest Chevy dealer for later this week - I recently moved and have not used them before so I'm a little nervous. This vehicle has had SOOOOO many issues and I am nearing the end of my 5 year factory powertrain and extended bumper to bumper warranties. Other issues I've experienced in the past are: fuel pumps x2, cam sensors, timing chain, radio problems, etc. All of these seem to be VERY common for my model year and it concerns me greatly that I will continue to have problems with this vehicle in the future.

I purchased this care brand new and love the look and feel of it, but have been severely disappointed with the number of problems I've experienced with it.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BadEquinoxen
My 2010 Equinox has roughly 47k miles on it, and recently has been having the check engine light and stabilitrak/traction control messages coming on intermittently. I am scheduling an appointment with my closest Chevy dealer for later this week - I recently moved and have not used them before so I'm a little nervous. This vehicle has had SOOOOO many issues and I am nearing the end of my 5 year factory powertrain and extended bumper to bumper warranties. Other issues I've experienced in the past are: fuel pumps x2, cam sensors, timing chain, radio problems, etc. All of these seem to be VERY common for my model year and it concerns me greatly that I will continue to have problems with this vehicle in the future.

I purchased this care brand new and love the look and feel of it, but have been severely disappointed with the number of problems I've experienced with it.
Hi there,

We're glad to learn you love the look and feel of your vehicle, but we're sorry to learn of the trouble you've encountered with your Equinox. We definitely recognize how this may become upsetting. Please keep us posted on your service visit. Feel free to PM us your VIN, contact information, and dealership name if there's anything we can do to help.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...