Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Spark plug issue

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2010, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug issue

I have a 2008 LT1, 3400 engine. The engine light came on at 21000 miles and again this week with 29000 miles. Dealer said the #1 plug was cracked both times. The plug was replaced both times, and this time they replaced the #1 wire as well. Anyone with similiar problem? This has me puzzled and concerned.
Old November 30th, 2010, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cracked Spark plug issue 2008 Equinox

I also have a 2008 Equinox with the same issue. Cylinder 1 had a cracked spark plug. I am around 58m miles. I was told by the dealership that I had to replace all 6 plugs and coils. Extremely costly. They have no idea what caused it, I am just hoping it does not happen again.
Old November 30th, 2010, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

thanks cst for your reply. thank goodness for warranty, mine was covered. glad to hear of at least one other problem, not just a one time deal with mine.
Old December 14th, 2010, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Mine has had the number 1 plug and wire replaced by the dealer, due to the spark was traveling on the outside of the ceramic part of the plug and arcing against the cylinder head. Unfortunately the car still sputters when accelerating at times and goes completely away if I engage the cruise control. I myself replaced the other 5 plug wires, and this problem still occurs. I am almost fed up to the point where I want to drive through the front window of the car lot and make them take the car back. The Equinox just went over the 60,000 mile warranty.
Old December 19th, 2010, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same issue with a 2007 Pontiac Torrent. 49K. Dealership had the thing for 2 days and couldn't find the problem. I pleaded with them to please check the plugs and sure enough cyl 1 had the exact problem you are describing. Friday they replaced the cyl 1 plug and it was fixed. Saturday it's doing it again. Does any one know of the cause and a permanent fix? What is up with cylinder 1?
Old December 19th, 2010, 4:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I have no idea, my wifes did the same thing... about a week after it was in the shop it started again. So I replaced the other plug wires. and that fixed it...... for a day. Fast forward to the HID install that took place on Saturday I noticed the first plug closest to the passenger side was REALLY loose.. I tightened it up and so far so good. I guess to make a long story short check to make sure your plugs are tight.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engine misfiring

And I thought I was the only one. Misfiring #1 cylinder at 61K. Replaced #1 plug and wire (myself - out of warranty). Have driven 4K no additonal problems. The engineer in me tells me that there's exceesive heat and/or voltages being generated this section of the engine that cause component failure. If GM ever admits they have a problem they will say they deem it to be an every 50K regular maintainance service issue much like changing your oil. Still happy with my Equinox
Old December 23rd, 2010, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

After 3 trips to the dealership new plug, wire, and coil later on cyl 1 everything seems to be fixed.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 6:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, that did not work for me. I had to take matters into my own hands. I replaced the other 5 plug wires, and tightened a spark plug, and so far it only hesitates a little bit.
Old December 30th, 2010, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default Spark Plug #1

Same thing here. Started sputtering around 30k, took it in and they changed the #1 fuel injector. Sputtered when I left the shop so they changed the wires. Began sputtering a few weeks later and they finally realized that the #1 plug was cracked. That took care of the problem for a good 28,000 miles and now it's doing it again. I came on here to find tips for getting to the #1 plug but it sounds like you need a lift. Ugh.

Quick Reply: Spark plug issue