Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   Stabilitrak Off Message + lost Power stearing (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/stabilitrak-off-message-lost-power-stearing-23372/)

cmcjls12 May 31st, 2009 11:47 AM

Stabilitrak Off Message + lost Power stearing

Got a boost last night cause the battery was dead and not I have lost my powerstearing and I get DIC "Stabilitrak Off" and "Service Stabilitrak" messages.

Anyone have any clue? Could this be a fuse or a relay?

2007 Equinox 37000 miles

cmcjls12 May 31st, 2009 1:38 PM

Never mind I figured it out, it was the Mega fuse 80 amp in the fuse box.

in2pro May 31st, 2009 1:57 PM

Welcome to the forum and thanks for following up on your question with the fix.
That is what makes the forum work best is when someone follows up with what works!

bdrums83 July 7th, 2009 4:48 PM

I have an '08 Equinox, I tried to jump someone last night and now my stabilitrak light is on as well. You said the Mega 80 amp fuse, do you happen to have a number on that one? I'm guessing that is what happened, but I'd like to avoid checking all the fuses or having to bring it in for service (especially since jumping someone isn't covered under warranty....)

mansecure October 7th, 2009 11:06 PM

where is the 80amp fuse located

Equinox Owner February 4th, 2010 10:39 AM

80 Amp Mega Fuse

The 80 Amp Mega fuse is located under the hood compartment of your vehicle and it is number 63 block. I do have the 80 Amp Fuse if anyone needs one, I had to purchase several from company to get since dealership could not get it and did nothing to find out how to acquire one from outside of area.

JasonfromMinnesota December 25th, 2010 10:48 PM

I have a 2008 Equinox LT AWD and I am getting a message "Service Stabilitrack" in my dash and my check engine light is on. I have check all the fuses under the hood above the battery all of them are good. I don’t notice any lack of performance during driving but my remote start no longer works. Any help or clues to solve this would be appreciated.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

London024 December 27th, 2010 3:01 PM

I had the same problem. I went out to my car one day and the battery was dead. After getting a jump, the "service stabilitrak" came on the DIC. After reading this post, we took the fuse to get a replacement. No luck. Dealer only. So my dad put the same fuse back on. Now the car wont start. Engine cranks just fine. But wont start? PLEASE HELP!

JasonfromMinnesota December 29th, 2010 4:47 PM

Service Stabilitrak 2008 Equinox LT

So I am going to try disconnecting my battery for two hours and then see the error still appears I am just guessing at this point. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

chvy07hky January 7th, 2011 10:00 AM

I have an 2007 equinox - still to this day cannot work with the "tire pressure system" - I have tried multiple times to follow the directions in the maunal without success. Even when I call the dealer (25 mi. away), they say, "oh you'll have to bring it in so we can re-set it for you" - PLEASE HELP - there has to be a better way for me to mannage tire pressure in this vechicle??!! Also in cold weather, the tire pressure lights come on simply because the car is cold - so I am told. Any help out there?? Thanks

JasonfromMinnesota January 9th, 2011 5:33 AM

service stabilitrak

i adjusted the tire pressure on all four wheels down to 27 psi cold the service stabilitrak message cleared until i drove for a mile and a half and entered the express way the tire pressure raised to 34 psi and the error lit once again.

London024 January 10th, 2011 2:35 AM

So after $327 to the car fixer dude...this is what he said....these care are designed faulty. Any time u jump the battery or jump some one else's... chances are u'll blow this fuse and lose steering. Only way to avoid is to remove the fuse first. This can be a pain....but its all u can do.

Majellan January 29th, 2011 3:57 PM

"Stabilitrak Service" Warning

I purchased a used 2007 Equinox LS for my wife with 68K kilometers for mileage. It sat on our driveway while we were away on holidays. When we returned the vehicle didn’t want to start so it seemed a boost was a good idea. After the boost the vehicle started however the Stabilitrak Service warning appeared on the dash and there is also no power-steering.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I’ve since read the Megafuse (block #63) might resolve the problem however I’ve also read some people have experienced problems starting their vehicles once the megafuse is removed and or then replaced.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Why would the vehicle not start after removing/replacing the megafuse? Does removing/replacing the fuse cause the vehicle’s computer to become confused? Should I refer the problem to the dealer? Any support or advice in this matter is sincerely appreciated!

josh08equinox January 31st, 2011 5:50 PM

Originally Posted by JasonfromMinnesota (Post 167189)
I have a 2008 Equinox LT AWD and I am getting a message "Service Stabilitrack" in my dash and my check engine light is on. I have check all the fuses under the hood above the battery all of them are good. I don’t notice any lack of performance during driving but my remote start no longer works. Any help or clues to solve this would be appreciated.ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

I had same thing with wifes equ.- I pulled the negative battery cable for 30 secs. or so and the message went away after reinstalling. We also had a check engine light on once for a fuel sensor (thank god we were under warranty) and the remote start will not work if you have an active "check engine light on" Must be some safety junk.

josh08equinox January 31st, 2011 5:53 PM

Lifters or fuel injectors noise

Seems to me that the lifters or the injectors are loud in my 08'. I may be the only one but Is any one else have constant ticking while idling? I've went to thicker oil and I don't see that much improvement. I didn't know if this is a normal thing or what.

JasonfromMinnesota February 22nd, 2011 9:36 AM

"Serice Sabilitrack" message

so i left the battery off and that cleared the error that was temporary thought once i drive on the freeway the "service stabilitrack" message returns and the check engine light comes on again. If i immediately turn off the stabilitrack with the button nest to the shifter i will not get the error. What could be going on ?

Chevrolet Customer Service March 14th, 2011 10:46 AM

Have any of you been to or have spoken with your dealerships? If you have please message me and I will do what I can to get this resolved. If not I suggest you do so. Many of you seem to be in the 2007-2008 range and should be covered for a fix like this under the 5 year 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty, under normal circumstances. I hope this information helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

ruley73 March 14th, 2011 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 175865)
Have any of you been to or have spoken with your dealerships? If you have please message me and I will do what I can to get this resolved. If not I suggest you do so. Many of you seem to be in the 2007-2008 range and should be covered for a fix like this under the 5 year 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty, under normal circumstances. I hope this information helps you.

Doesn't the powertrain warranty only cover internal engine repairs? After all, the word "powertrain" only refers to the engine itself. This implies to me that any other non-engine related repair (i.e. transmission, ABS, Stabilitrak) is not covered by the 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, It upsets me that what is/is not covered by this warranty is very vague. I have not been able to find a good source that clearly states what is/is not covered. I just changed the EGR valve a few weeks ago (only 58K miles) on our 2007 Equinox because I assumed it would not be covered.

Chevrolet Customer Service March 16th, 2011 8:40 AM

Actually the Powertrain warranty covers much more than you think. It covers the entire powertrain from the engine to the transmission to the Drive Systems and Trasnfer case if equiped. In fact this is the wording for the powertrain warranty as it would show in your warranty manual that came with the vehicle at initial purchase.

Engine Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line). Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded are engine oil cooling hoses and radiators.

Transmission/Transaxle Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (Slave cylinder, etc.) as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

The Transfer Case Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transfer case. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transfer case (Slave cylinder, etc.) as well as encoder motor, transfer case control modules and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

The Drive Systems Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, mounts, supports, seals, gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e.: front differential actuator, etc.) as well as any transmission control module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems.

I that this information helps you.

Wayneof North carolina May 22nd, 2011 3:16 PM

I have a 2007 Equinox and have had no problems with steering or electrical until today. I parked the car and when I started it to back from the parking spot I had no power steering. I was able to manhandle the car out of the spot and onto the road, I was a couple of miles up the road before the "service stabilitrek" light came on. Nothing I do has any effect on getting the power steering working or the service light off. Any suggestions?

Chevrolet Customer Service May 23rd, 2011 8:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wayneof North carolina (Post 182134)
I have a 2007 Equinox and have had no problems with steering or electrical until today. I parked the car and when I started it to back from the parking spot I had no power steering. I was able to manhandle the car out of the spot and onto the road, I was a couple of miles up the road before the "service stabilitrek" light came on. Nothing I do has any effect on getting the power steering working or the service light off. Any suggestions?

Wayneof north carolina,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Equinox. Did you speak with the dealership about the issue? If so, did you get the issue fixed?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service

JasonfromMinnesota May 29th, 2011 4:48 AM

Service Stabilitrack FIXED @!@!$%#!!

OK so i found out that my EGR (exhaust gas recirc)valve was stuck open and was recirculating exhaust back to the engine so it had reduced torch. the stabilitrack automatically shuts off due to reduced power from engine. me and my wife replaced the EGR valve and gasket ($70 @ Auto Zone) in our garage and when we reconnected the battery cables all errors were clear!!! and have been for a week and the equinox runs way smoother and better on gas. Thank you ONSTAR diagnostics! if you have any questions email.

cruzr74 June 15th, 2011 6:24 PM

Originally Posted by Equinox Owner (Post 129082)
The 80 Amp Mega fuse is located under the hood compartment of your vehicle and it is number 63 block. I do have the 80 Amp Fuse if anyone needs one, I had to purchase several from company to get since dealership could not get it and did nothing to find out how to acquire one from outside of area.

I want to know how to replace it. How much does this fuse cost? Do I just unhook the battery and then pull it out? Because this is hooked into the terminal, right?

tieyourshoes51 July 24th, 2011 8:38 PM

Lost power steering

I attempted to jump a vehicle yesterday. When I backed away, I got the error message AND lost my power steering. THAT was exciting. I am hoping I can find an 80-amp Mega Fuse for block 63.

cruzr74 July 25th, 2011 5:26 AM

no power steering, loses power

My problem I later found out was my transmission control module. It was a 900 dollar fix... Luckily for me it was covered under the powertrain warranty

tieyourshoes51 July 26th, 2011 4:17 PM

found the fuse!

Fortunately, the local Chevy dealer had the Mega 80 fuse. It set me back $18.70, and I replaced it myself easily. I was tired of driving a tank, steering-wise! Thanks for the great advice!

For those not sure, block 63 for the fuse is the one between the terminals. You have to remove the bolts and wires to take the fuse out. Five minutes maximum.

KNivison June 29th, 2012 12:41 AM

I need a 80 AMP mega fuse for my (EPS) 08 Chevy Equinox - where can I get one and how much does it cost...... I know this is the resolution to my (no) power steering issue but no one has one right now.... I cant keep driving my vehicle like this - my arms hurt...

Chevrolet Customer Service June 29th, 2012 7:41 AM

Originally Posted by KNivison (Post 219865)
I need a 80 AMP mega fuse for my (EPS) 08 Chevy Equinox - where can I get one and how much does it cost...... I know this is the resolution to my (no) power steering issue but no one has one right now.... I cant keep driving my vehicle like this - my arms hurt...

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I recommend contacting your local dealer, they should be able to get one for you. Amazon.com* is another option, just make sure that the fuse will fit your vehicle.

*General Motors neither endorses nor maintains these sites and will not be responsible for any of its contents.

Louis
GM Customer Service

cruzr74 June 29th, 2012 8:29 PM

Reply to Stabilitrak off...

I thought it could be a fuse, so I replaced the big fuse on the top of the engine like the manual said... but My real problem was a chip that went out.... It is covered if youre still in warranty and luckily I was but if the fuse replacement isnt what works for you, take it in.

Good Luck

destadum August 19th, 2012 1:43 PM

I can not find this Fuse!! any suggestions?

Gave a jump with my 08 equinox now my 80 amp fuse needs replacing...no one carrys it? Anyone know where to get one specifically?:confused:

Chevrolet Customer Service August 21st, 2012 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by destadum (Post 224391)
Gave a jump with my 08 equinox now my 80 amp fuse needs replacing...no one carrys it? Anyone know where to get one specifically?:confused:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Have you checked out Amazon.com? If you would like, PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, and I will check for a part number if possible.

*General Motors neither endorses nor maintains these sites and will not be responsible for any of its contents.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Jan Nesmith October 28th, 2012 2:00 PM

Stabilitrak

Stabilitrak Off then message Check Power Steering, & finally message vehicle conserving power...after talking with the GM 800 line & being towed the problem turned out to be the battery.

Seriously what happened to the good old days of simply letting the driver know with a clear message or symbol to check the battery; would have saved a lot of time and grief

Customer Service folks I must say were terrific, even received two follow up calls - one my a human the other an automated survey to call back
Vehicle - 2010 Equinox

mvpalmer271 April 5th, 2013 9:18 AM

What worked for me

I had the same issue. One morning no power steering and a Service Stabilitrak warning message appeared on my DIC as soon as I started driving. I tested the 80A mega fuse with a multi-meter and it checked out so I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and then reconnected it. When I started it back up my power steering was working and as soon as I started driving the ABS check ran shutting the Stabilitrak light off. This was over a week ago now.

I know this is an old thread but inevitably more people will encounter this issue and be lead here by searching Google or this Forum just like myself. Maybe it will save someone some headaches and money.

-Michael

brothercoop August 26th, 2013 10:53 AM

I need one if you stll have them. How much and do U use paypal??

landra88 December 11th, 2013 7:16 PM

I wanted to know if you have any of the 80 amp mega fuses because I have a 07 equinox lt and I got a jump today then once I started to drive it the stabilitrak light came on and my power steering went out so I'm guessing I have the same issue

amandathebeach May 11th, 2015 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cmcjls12 (Post 99857)
Never mind I figured it out, it was the Mega fuse 80 amp in the fuse box.

Thanks, this was super helpful, found the fuse at a chevy dealership and had this fixed in five minutes flat :) anyone know a safe way to boost the battery if it's flat without blowing the 80 amp fuse?

ruley73 May 11th, 2015 1:53 PM

Originally Posted by amandathebeach (Post 301498)
Thanks, this was super helpful, found the fuse at a chevy dealership and had this fixed in five minutes flat :) anyone know a safe way to boost the battery if it's flat without blowing the 80 amp fuse?

Always attach the positive jumper cable first - before connecting the negative jumper cable. Be sure to attach the positive jumper cable to the large terminal on the front of the fuse block. You could also remove the battery cover and connect the cables directly to the battery terminals. That is what I've done, and I didn't have a problem.

If you really want to be safe, you could just temporarily remove the fuse and jump start the vehicle. The catch is that the vehicle will need to be turned off to safely install the fuse. The car will still start and drive fine without the fuse, but you won't have any power steering or Stabilitrak just like as if the fuse were blown.

amandathebeach May 14th, 2015 9:00 AM

Originally Posted by ruley73 (Post 301508)
Always attach the positive jumper cable first - before connecting the negative jumper cable. Be sure to attach the positive jumper cable to the large terminal on the front of the fuse block. You could also remove the battery cover and connect the cables directly to the battery terminals. That is what I've done, and I didn't have a problem.

If you really want to be safe, you could just temporarily remove the fuse and jump start the vehicle. The catch is that the vehicle will need to be turned off to safely install the fuse. The car will still start and drive fine without the fuse, but you won't have any power steering or Stabilitrak just like as if the fuse were blown.

ThaNks! The battery terminals were weird and close together, I'd not seen one like that before. I think next time, because the amp was snug right between them, I'll pull it out for the boost, run the car in place and then turn it off and put the fuse back on. Or maybe I'll just NOT let the kid listen to music and forget to turn the key when she's done lol. Cheers!

Pauve Shirelle Tudor July 6th, 2016 8:00 PM

Hoping to bump this see if theres a solution.

Originally Posted by Wayneof North carolina (Post 182134)

Was anybody able to find out the problem to this? This just happened to me.

ncordova September 28th, 2016 1:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 175865)

Hello Jeff,

I am also experiencing this same problem, it seems Chevy should issue a recall , since this issue is so common and widespread. Can I get some assistance in resolving this issue?

Thank you,

Nadine