Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

What could this vibration be?

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2012, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could this vibration be?

I've had my '05 Equinox for about a year. For the past few weeks I've been occasionally feeling a vibration and since I'm sure it won't happen if I take it in to the shop, I'm trying to get some ideas of what it might be so I can check things myself or ask them to check them.

It seems to come in spurts. Yesterday it happened almost throughout my entire drive home from work. Today it hasn't happened once in 30 miles of driving. Sometimes it'll happen once or twice during a trip. In the first 11 months I'd owned the car it happened a couple times, during heavy rains.

It feels kind of like going over rumble strips but not as severe.

When it happens, it occurs when accelerating, starts about 20mph and fades out about 35mph.

It doesn't seem to be related to engine RPM since I've had it continue after an upshift.

I thought maybe it was related to the driveshaft carrier bearing, but if so, why would it only occur sometimes?
Old July 3rd, 2012, 2:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by educk
I've had my '05 Equinox for about a year. For the past few weeks I've been occasionally feeling a vibration and since I'm sure it won't happen if I take it in to the shop, I'm trying to get some ideas of what it might be so I can check things myself or ask them to check them.

It seems to come in spurts. Yesterday it happened almost throughout my entire drive home from work. Today it hasn't happened once in 30 miles of driving. Sometimes it'll happen once or twice during a trip. In the first 11 months I'd owned the car it happened a couple times, during heavy rains.

It feels kind of like going over rumble strips but not as severe.

When it happens, it occurs when accelerating, starts about 20mph and fades out about 35mph.

It doesn't seem to be related to engine RPM since I've had it continue after an upshift.

I thought maybe it was related to the driveshaft carrier bearing, but if so, why would it only occur sometimes?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Has any aftermarket equipment been installed on the vehicle? Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:52 AM
CF Beginner

The only aftermarket stuff is some of those window shields (that were there when I got it). I haven't asked anyone to look at it yet because of the difficulty in repeating the problem. I'm trying to get as much information before taking it in anywhere as I can to improve the odds of fixing it even if they can't replicate it at that time.
Old July 8th, 2012, 1:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

If its occurring in rain; could it be a engine misfire? If you take your foot off the accerator when its occuring; does it stop?

If yes, check all your plug wires and plugs for carbon tracking and cracked insulators.
Old July 9th, 2012, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, if I take my foot off the accelerator when it happens, it stops (until I put my foot back on the accelerator).

It could be a misfire. I had new plugs and wires put in about 6 months ago when the check engine light had come on and that's what they said it needed (it was about time anyway). It's possible that that didn't solve the problem. But what strikes me as odd about that is a couple things - why isn't it happening more regularly, and why does it stop at about the same speed (and not reoccur if I slow back down, only when I start from a stop)?