Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2014, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just found this

Hello all. My wife has a 2010 Equinox 1LT AWD that we purchased new and it has just crossed 60,000 miles. We took it for an oil change and were told it was almost empty. Same issue with no signs of a leak in the garage or anywhere else. I am going to take it to the dealer to see what is going on. But it is a sad state of affairs that my Acura with 150,000 miles on it has never had an issue but this car does at 60,000. I suppose I should have known better than to buy an American car.

Has anyone had any luck on identifying the real issue? I am obviously not alone in these issues.
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello Smkell43,

I am sorry to hear you are having this oil concern with your wife's Equinox. Have you had a chance to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this for you? Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and Chevrolet dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Smkell43,

I am sorry to hear you are having this oil concern with your wife's Equinox. Have you had a chance to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this for you? Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and Chevrolet dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hello Erica,

I too am having the same issues with "oil consumption" and several others issues as well.
I own a 2010 Equinox ltz. It consumes a quart of oil in under a thousand miles.
If I give you the same info you requested from smkell43, could you also help me?

Thank you,
Beverly
Old April 15th, 2014, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

To update: I completed the oil consumption test in October 2012 and the dealership found very excessive oil use. The dealership followed the applicable service bulletin, pulled the cylinder head, and immediately saw the "zebra striping".

GM replaced the car's engine under the powertrain warranty at no cost to me - however, I was stuck in an atrocious Chevy Aveo loaner that reeked of cigarette smoke for 2 weeks while newly pregnant (and extremely nauseous) with a 2 year old whose car seat barely fit safely in the loaner. I get that loaners are a dealership thing, but it was still a sour experience - you should be in a loaner of comparable quality to the vehicle you're having repaired, especially when it's a warranty service.

I am resigned to having to drive this car into the ground - if selling it or trading it in, I would never get the value I should due to these problems and the history of a replaced engine. It's on the Consumer Reports "do not buy" list, for crying out loud! We now have two small children and about the only good thing about the Equinox is the back seat room. I am very disappointed and while I wanted an Acadia or Traverse for my next vehicle, I'll be looking for a non-GM crossover with a third row to accommodate our growing family.
Old April 15th, 2014, 1:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Hello Beverly,

Yes, you can certainly private message me your information. We review each case on a case by case basis. I will reach out to your dealership on your behalf and discuss the options available.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 16th, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Well it is sad that a car that we ordered and waited 3 months for, was slapped together with no regard for safety or inconvenience for the buyers.

We were able to trade the car in and get a decent enough price for it and ended up buying a Toyota, which we should have done in the first place.

Needless to say that the Equinox was my first and last American car.
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Hello Beverly,

Yes, you can certainly private message me your information. We review each case on a case by case basis. I will reach out to your dealership on your behalf and discuss the options available.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you Erica,

I cannot see how or where to pm on this forum.
Can you email me?
Beverlynvian@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance,
Beverly
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Hello Beverly,

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
I want to post my personal message:

Hi Erica,

Vin ******************

Currently I have 98k miles on my Equinox, issues started at 43k.
I have replaced many parts trying to diagnose the problem until I found hundreds of people online with the exact issues.
I do not want to have to walk my GM dealer through on what the issues are on these vehicles.
I know of the TSBs and have them ready to show the tech if needed but don't feel it is my place to do so.
It is my hope that you can contact a dealer on my behalf and save me from what challenges I have read others have gone through from their GM dealer. Also, when I leave my Equinox for repair, I do not want to have to haggle for a comparable loaner. I purchased a fully loaded car, not a base model.
Lastly, when my Equinox is repaired I should not have to incur any expense, period.
Any work the tech will have to do on this car is a result of a GM defect not owner maintenance.

The Equinox burns a quart of oil in 1000 miles or less.
There is fuel in the oil.
I've never had a leak in my driveway or at work.
My catalytic convertors are bad due to the root issue of fuel in the oil.
Consistent exhaust odor in the cabin, it runs and idles rough.
Has stalled me on the interstate many times at 75 mph, engine reduced power.
This is more than a mechanical problem, it is ANOTHER SAFETY ISSUE that needs GM's attention.

I have consistently purchased GM vehicles for twenty plus years. I only ask for what is fair and just. Especially given the scrutiny GM is under at present. I will continue to purchase GM products given the outcome of this horrible experience for my family and I for the last year and a half, is rectified.

Thank you for your help in this matter,
Beverly Buttrey
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi Smkell43,

We do apologize that this frustration has caused you to pursue other products. Safety is important to GM, and we always want to ensure you feel safe in your vehicle. We hope one day we may be given the opportunity to earn your business again.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by Smkell43
Well it is sad that a car that we ordered and waited 3 months for, was slapped together with no regard for safety or inconvenience for the buyers.

We were able to trade the car in and get a decent enough price for it and ended up buying a Toyota, which we should have done in the first place.

Needless to say that the Equinox was my first and last American car.
Old April 16th, 2014, 8:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by BeverlySB
Thank you Erica,

I cannot see how or where to pm on this forum.
Can you email me?
Beverlynvian@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance,
Beverly
Hi Beverly,

I have just sent you an email to the email address that you have provided. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Kristen A. (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!