Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

06 Equinox Leaking

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2014, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My water leak is repaired! $198 at my local Chevy dealership (1 hour to diagnose, another hour to repair and do the water leak test again.) The explanation on the invoice is much better than what was originally provided by the service adviser.

"Water tested and found left front sun roof drain to be loose causing water leak on floor. Partial R&R front headliner and re-installed drain tube properly. Also adjust sun roof glass. Retest and found no water to leak. Customer to dry interior by them selfs."

After the repair was made, I drove through another heavy Detroit rain storm for 10-15 minutes. My carpet is dry!

Reconnecting the drain tube would be a fairly easy fix for a DIYer, especially if you know what the problem is. Minimally, you would be able to check to see if any of the drain tubes are disconnected, full or in part.

I hope this helps others!
Old October 20th, 2014, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent with the same problem. Let me just say that seeing the way this very common problem has been handled by GM, I will never buy another GM Automobile in my life. There are hundreds of threads all over the internet regarding this issue and it's because of a very poor design flaw. Some experience leaks because of the clogged tube from the sunroof, but others have it because of insufficient sealant around various parts of the body, including the strut tower. How is this not a recall? Also, there is a very common problem with wheel bearings going bad in a short amount of time that I'm also experiencing.

I'm not sure where my problem is just yet (sunroof or sealant), but after I figure this out, I'm getting rid of this thing. The body also rusted badly and GM refuses to acknowledge and fix the issue.

I'm sure many have also noticed GM's lack of response on these threads and simply moved on without speaking out. But I will tell anyone who is thinking about getting a GM automobile my experience and suggest them to not purchase a GM. I may just make a Youtube video and tweet it out. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by No More; October 20th, 2014 at 9:40 AM.
Old February 27th, 2015, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

To reiterate, this problem can be solved by having the sunroof drain tubes cleaned out. When I had mine done, the mechanic said they were completely filled with dirt and leaves and whatnot. Since they cleaned them out, not one drop of water has come in my car.
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I also had a water leak in my 08 Nox. The carpet behind drivers seat was getting wet when it rained.It took me a while but I finally figured it out. Believe it or not but I determined it was coming from under the drivers door! The plastic door step plates were pitched in so when water drained down from between door and frame the water would come inside instead of outside. I put a spacer under inside of step plate to pitch it outward and it cured the problem. I have in the past found leaks after body work has been done to cars. Sometimes they fail to replace rubber washers on bolts holding taillights or rubber grommets used to seal wires. Almost drives you to drinking,MORE!!!!!
Old April 26th, 2015, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

My '08 Equinox is doing the same thing. I can see the drainage tubes hanging outside the front of the door/fender panels, but they are open and look like they've been cut and left hanging there. I plan on blowing <35 psi air through to see if that clears it. I am hoping they are not dislodged and hanging there spilling water everywhere. The wires along the floor/door area are covered but they are wet. I will never buy a vehicle with a sunroof again, that's for sure. You'd think Chevy could design a drain that goes all the way to the bottom of the car rather than hiding it in a panel where it is too hard to get to. But, yeah, have to keep those mechanics in business.