Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

07 Equinox Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2013, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 07 LT AWD Equinox with about 91,000 miles on it. Thanksgiving 2012 me and my dad pulled the dip stick and the stick was nearly dry. Since then I've monitored this closely and found that the vehicle is consuming around 2 +/- qts every 3000 miles or so. Going by the factory oil light, I'm changing oil every 4,000. Some months are worse than others. I've watched for smoking at start up and road driving and also watched for leaks and I haven't seen anything. Everything is dry when the oil is changed. I live approx 5 miles from work and town so I'm not driving an extremely large amount. What could cause this?

Yesterday I changed the EGR valve to remedy my P0405 code and also hope to remedy my traction control/stablitrak error message.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Eric.

Last edited by wifes equinox; September 1st, 2013 at 8:54 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 7:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

First, make sure you're putting enough oil in when performing oil changes. The owner's manual incorrectly states 4 quarts when changing the oil & filter. The engine actually takes 4.5 quarts when changing the oil & filter. GM has issued a TSB for this error. Another potential issue is that your PCV valve is sticking or stuck shut. Some have had success replacing only the PCV valve, but GM says it requires replacing the front valve cover.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 2:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

wifes equinox,

The accepted oil consumption rate is 1 quart per 2000 miles; it sounds like you may be exceeding this. If you wanted to pursue doing an oil consumption test with your dealership, we'd be happy to stay with you through that process. Given the age of the vehicle, this would not be a warrantable procedure.

Sarah (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 4th, 2013, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the oil consumption test consist of? And will it be a sure fire way to find the cause?
Also from what I've read the PCV valve can't be changed because its actually rivetted to the engine. The guy at Advance did give me one but I've found no way to replace it.