Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

07 Equinox Poor key remote signal

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2020, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Equinox Poor key remote signal

I have an 07 Equinox that i have to be within arms length to use the key fob. Is there a way i could extend the range?
Old August 1st, 2020, 10:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by KendelH
I have an 07 Equinox that i have to be within arms length to use the key fob. Is there a way i could extend the range?
Did you replace the remote battery?
Do you have more than one remote to try?
If so, does it behave the same way?
Old August 1st, 2020, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
Did you replace the remote battery?
Do you have more than one remote to try?
If so, does it behave the same way?

yes i first replaced batteries then i bought brand new remotes and they all programmed fine however the range remained short
Old August 2nd, 2020, 7:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by KendelH
yes i first replaced batteries then i bought brand new remotes and they all programmed fine however the range remained short
Do you have any warning lights/messages on?
Do you have any accessories plugged in to the 12V power port such as a cell phone charger? If so, try disconnecting it and see if that makes a difference. GM issued a TSB a few years ago for the reduced remote range issue. In the TSB they suggest removing any accessories from the vehicle to see if it helps. The TSB states that some USB/cell phone chargers, wireless gate switches, and wireless winch switches in particular emit RF interference that affects remote range.

There could also be an issue with the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR). That's the part that receives signals from the TPMS sensors and the keyless remotes. Try pulling the 10A HVAC/RFA fuse from the interior fuse panel for a few minutes to see if that fixes it. If that has no affect the next thing I'd try is to disconnect/reconnect any plugs going to the remote control door lock receiver. The receiver is located in the cabin in front of and below the right rear window near the C-pillar. You will probably need to remove a couple panels to access it. If that doesn't work the RCDLR may need to be replaced.