Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

07 equinox stability control/front end noise

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2015, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 equinox stability control/front end noise

Need some tech advice-
First issue was when my wife backed up the vehicle power steering went out.
I took it to a shop they scanned and was informed I needed a new power steering control module. So I went and bought a used one on ebay and installed it. I then took it back to the mechanic so he could re-program it. I went and picked it up the mechanic had programmed the steering module and said he had to program the brake control module to. I got about a block away and the traction control light started to blink and a clicking grinding noise in the front end. I pushed the break pedal and could feel the vibration and it stopped. it kept happening over and over till I got turned around and back to the mechanic. He did a scan and no codes came up, so he came for a road test with me and had his scanner plugged in. On the road test it happed several times but would not throw a code. He reprogrammed both modules with me standing there watching but still happens. This was not happening before steering control module was replaced. I have the abs fuse out so I can drive it without any problems.
Any advise or even were to start?
Old July 28th, 2015, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Several years ago, my 2007 Equinox had a similar issue where the power steering stopped working for my wife. She struggled home without power steering. A day later, when I started it up, the steering worked fine. I took it to my local Chevy dealership and they said there was service bulletin about it. The reprogrammed it (free of charge, if I remember correctly). It hasn't exhibited that problem ever since-- and it's been a few years.

Apparently your car's computer is not reading your wheel sensors properly. It seems that your mechanic improperly programmed the brake control module. Did you use a GM dealership mechanic? If not, I'd recommend doing so. If so, I'd recommend trying a different mechanic.

I normally take my GM vehicles to my trusty (non-GM-dealership) mechanic because it's a lot cheaper. But for computer-related stuff like this, I take it to a GM dealership. In fact, when I went to pick up my Equinox from the dealership, I ran into my trusty (non-GM-dealership) mechanic at the dealership because he was buying a part there. He said that I did the right thing by not taking it to him because (even though he has some very expensive diagnostic equipment) only GM dealerships have the diagnostic & programming equipment to handle a problem like that.
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

I had read online about the service bulletin and took it to GM before doing anything. They ran my Vin# and told me there was no service bulletin associated with my Vin#.
Before taking my vehicle to be reprogrammed I installed the steering control module and had power steering back but when I took it for a road test the traction control and noise problem was there. This is what led me to believe that it must need programing . Reprograming did not solve the issue so the only conclusion I could come up with is that the new module must be defective since none of the traction control problems were there before I changed the module. So I ordered another and will see if this solves it?
Old July 30th, 2015, 12:56 AM
CF Beginner

Geez. Good luck!

Please come back and let us know if it works. (I imagine I'll have the same problem some day.)