Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 Suburban Stability Control Activation comes on after taking off from dead stop

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2010, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Suburban Stability Control Activation comes on after taking off from dead stop

2005 Suburban Stability Control Activation comes on when taking off from a dead stop and the truck loses power feels like it ready to stahl or hesitating very badly, ABS may be coming on but not 100% sure. To get going over this event we hit accelerator harder and it will over come it and the Stability Control Activation light will go off. This has been happening for about 6 months and with no resolve. I have been driving it with the electronic stability control off and it will not happen, runs normal. The Stabilty Control must be deactivated in this mode.
Any ideas on what may be going on ?
Old March 21st, 2010, 1:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the MIL or SES light on? If so, pulling the codes may point you in the right direction. My guess would be a flaky wheel sensor or speed sensor.
Old March 21st, 2010, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Dumb question what is the MIL or SES light on ? "Stability Control Activation" is displayed in dash main display during the event and then goes off when as described. I did not notice any other lights during or after the event. Will there be a code stored if the Stability control is activated ? Perhaps I should take it somewhere to see ifany codes arestored.
Old March 21st, 2010, 3:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bowtieman427
Dumb question what is the MIL or SES light on ? "Stability Control Activation" is displayed in dash main display during the event and then goes off when as described. I did not notice any other lights during or after the event. Will there be a code stored if the Stability control is activated ? Perhaps I should take it somewhere to see ifany codes arestored.
MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light, AKA Check Engine Light
SES - Service Engine Soon Light

You should get it checked to see if there are any stored codes. Have you ever seen a message that says "Service Stabilitrack"?
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Hi thanks for the definition. I do have codes but do not think they are related to the stablity function and the check engine light just came on last week. I think these are 2 independent issues. The stability issue has been going on for months now I posted this elsewhere:
<!-- message -->
"Have 2005 <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: tahoma; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_0_0>Suburban</NOBR> 5.3L 52k miles. Runs fine when first started idles around 900-1k RPM smooth. When it warms up idles a little rough 400-600RPM. When the check engine light first came on it ran very rough at idle and a little rough while driving after the short trip turned off and then started again it ran a little rough at idle and a lot better while driving. It is using more gas. Error codes P0300, P0171, & P0131 checked at Auto Zone. Auto Zone sold me an O2 sensor, but thinking more about it the P0300 code has me thinking there is may be a vacuum leak and the leak caused a lean situation for the O2 Sensor to have its issue. Before I install the O2 sensor. I would like to know:
1) What is the best way to go about checking for a vacuum leak ?
2) anyone have diagrams where to check ? Best way to go about it ?
3) any opinions on what the the problem may be?

This is my first post here thanks in advance for any advice"

I thought if I combined the two we would have a lot of confusion.
Old March 28th, 2010, 8:38 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I use an unlit propane torch to check for vacuum leaks. When the engine sucks in the propane thru the leak, the idle changes. Remember that the DTCs only give an indication of where a problem is and extensive diagnostics are usually req'd to find the ultimate problem.
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bowtieman427
2005 Suburban Stability Control Activation comes on when taking off from a dead stop and the truck loses power feels like it ready to stahl or hesitating very badly, ABS may be coming on but not 100% sure. To get going over this event we hit accelerator harder and it will over come it and the Stability Control Activation light will go off. This has been happening for about 6 months and with no resolve. I have been driving it with the electronic stability control off and it will not happen, runs normal. The Stabilty Control must be deactivated in this mode.
Any ideas on what may be going on ?
Did you ever get resolution for this?

I have the exact same symptoms...and the only guess I have is that the wheel sensor may be bad from the new hub we installed this last winter. I have no CEL nor does it say stability control when it fires...but turning it off makes it go away...so we know it's the stability control system.
Old June 15th, 2011, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

I had the traction active light come on in my '05 Sub, similar to what you describe. I found a wheel speed sensor to have cracked on the front left hub and cleaned the other side. There are various write-ups on wheel speed sensor corrosion on the hubs that was part of a recall but not on the '05s. The pad the sensor sits on the hub was rusty on mine.
I often heard a noise at low speeds that sounded like the anti-lock brakes doing a test at start up. That noise has since went away and system works normal.
Old June 15th, 2011, 9:04 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Carboncow,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Did you have your hub installed at your local dealership? Also, have you been to your dealership for this new issue?

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 15th, 2011, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by carboncow
Did you ever get resolution for this?

I have the exact same symptoms...and the only guess I have is that the wheel sensor may be bad from the new hub we installed this last winter. I have no CEL nor does it say stability control when it fires...but turning it off makes it go away...so we know it's the stability control system.
No ALB anb SCA are still messed up still driving it as is. the ALB seem to be going on a lot more now and sometimes they will activate even when the SCA OFF. I want find out more about the wheel speed sensor perhaps that is the issue. I talked to the dealer once and they had no clue and of course they charge a load of cash not finding a solution.
The other issue was a bad O2 Sensor that is all fixed.

Last edited by bowtieman427; June 15th, 2011 at 9:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 05 Suburban Stability Control Activation comes on after taking off from dead stop