Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 Suburban Stability Control Activation comes on after taking off from dead stop

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2011, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by factorypilot
I had the traction active light come on in my '05 Sub, similar to what you describe. I found a wheel speed sensor to have cracked on the front left hub and cleaned the other side. There are various write-ups on wheel speed sensor corrosion on the hubs that was part of a recall but not on the '05s. The pad the sensor sits on the hub was rusty on mine.
I often heard a noise at low speeds that sounded like the anti-lock brakes doing a test at start up. That noise has since went away and system works normal.
GM must not feel it is a safety issue on an '05 : )
Old June 19th, 2011, 8:18 AM
CF Junior Member

I disconnected the wheel speed sensors since my ABS was constantly coming on when I made sharp turns in and out of parking spaces. It's unsettling to lose braking at 10MPH in a parking lot! Of course, now I don't have ABS but at least I can stop the truck. The ABS light will be on so if the ABS light bugs you, you can remove the bulb from the dash.
Old June 20th, 2011, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by legolas894
I disconnected the wheel speed sensors since my ABS was constantly coming on when I made sharp turns in and out of parking spaces. It's unsettling to lose braking at 10MPH in a parking lot! Of course, now I don't have ABS but at least I can stop the truck. The ABS light will be on so if the ABS light bugs you, you can remove the bulb from the dash.
We are discussing lack of power and stability control here...

are you in fact saying you lost BRAKING from an erratic ABS sensor? I'd have to say in 20 years of driving cars with ABS I've never known or heard of anyone to losing braking power. Or did you mean like the rest of us the bad sensor was sending improper data to the Stability Control system and thus causing lack of power?

One last comment...why would you not spend a few dollars on an ABS sensor? The last hub I did included the sensor for $90?
Old June 20th, 2011, 7:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by carboncow
We are discussing lack of power and stability control here...

are you in fact saying you lost BRAKING from an erratic ABS sensor? I'd have to say in 20 years of driving cars with ABS I've never known or heard of anyone to losing braking power. Or did you mean like the rest of us the bad sensor was sending improper data to the Stability Control system and thus causing lack of power?

One last comment...why would you not spend a few dollars on an ABS sensor? The last hub I did included the sensor for $90?
Yes-the sensor is sending bad information. I assume that the Stability Control gets the data from the same wheel speed sensors that the ABS gets it information from. My ABS issue was fixed by disconnecting the front ABS wheels sensors.

ROCK AUTO's price on wheel speed sensors for my '98 is $95 a piece. Not sure why your hubs would be that cheap with the sensors. The ABS module is over $500 (another reason not to bother). I've never had an accident in 30 years of driving cars/trucks with out ABS.

ABS or stability control is no solution to poor driving habits. Most SUV rollovers are caused by excess speed (over confidence) in poor driving conditions. ABS might help you avoid a rear end collision in straight ahead driving when your wheels slip on snow/rain covered roads but most people are already in trouble by driving too fast or following too close.

Just my $0.02 (CDN).
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by legolas894
Yes-the sensor is sending bad information. I assume that the Stability Control gets the data from the same wheel speed sensors that the ABS gets it information from. My ABS issue was fixed by disconnecting the front ABS wheels sensors.

ROCK AUTO's price on wheel speed sensors for my '98 is $95 a piece. Not sure why your hubs would be that cheap with the sensors. The ABS module is over $500 (another reason not to bother). I've never had an accident in 30 years of driving cars/trucks with out ABS.

ABS or stability control is no solution to poor driving habits. Most SUV rollovers are caused by excess speed (over confidence) in poor driving conditions. ABS might help you avoid a rear end collision in straight ahead driving when your wheels slip on snow/rain covered roads but most people are already in trouble by driving too fast or following too close.

Just my $0.02 (CDN).
Wow I have not seen an ABS sensor causing braking concerns...only on "stability systems" as we mention in this thread. That really blows my mind.

I'll have to review my receipt but I got an inexpensive hub from Autozone or Advanced Auto here in the states and it included the sensor but it may have been about $110 out the door now that I think about it.

If you ABS module is bad then yes $500 is hefty...I'd find a used one myself. As far as you comments on driving and ABS I cannot disagree but I can tell you with our icy winter driving conditions in Ohio ABS on a big heavy Suburban is a necessity and the data shows that stability control does help with highway swerves and causing rollovers...it's a nice feature to have. Not all issues are caused by following to close and those are the ones we usually don't have control over!
Old August 21st, 2011, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

HI, I have a 2005 Tahoe with the same issue. A short while ago the ride control pump when out, at first the error message was "service ride control" then went to both ride control and service stability. After having the ride control pump replaced the messages continue to display on dash and the left front wheel locks up like the Anti lock brakes are activting. This has happend about 5 times in the last month and scares me to drive the car. My local mechanic could not diagonse the problem so I took it to Covert Chevy of Austin. They updated and reprogrammed the vehicles EBCM and other control modules. This was last week, they never mentioned that it did not fix the problem and shortly after leaving the dealer both error codes occured again and then not long after the left front wheel locked up again. Please help this is a very dangerous issue and concerns me to put my family in the car.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by masyn01
HI, I have a 2005 Tahoe with the same issue. A short while ago the ride control pump when out, at first the error message was "service ride control" then went to both ride control and service stability. After having the ride control pump replaced the messages continue to display on dash and the left front wheel locks up like the Anti lock brakes are activting. This has happend about 5 times in the last month and scares me to drive the car. My local mechanic could not diagonse the problem so I took it to Covert Chevy of Austin. They updated and reprogrammed the vehicles EBCM and other control modules. This was last week, they never mentioned that it did not fix the problem and shortly after leaving the dealer both error codes occured again and then not long after the left front wheel locked up again. Please help this is a very dangerous issue and concerns me to put my family in the car.
Our concern proved to be the front wheel sensor that was replaced. We also cleaned up the gear drive it reads just to play it safe.

If you "fear" the car you simply need to turn off the stability control every time you drive until you figure this out. If there are still symptoms after turning it off...it's not the stability control.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 Suburban service Stability light

I have a bad wheel monitor for about 3 years. for the past 2 years service stability light comes on and on occasion traction activation with lose of power. dealer has no idea. Other then freaking my wife out, a few lights on and occasional lose of power ( like twice a year) it has no effect on vehicle. So i just leave it alone unless anyone has a suggestion
Old April 3rd, 2014, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hotonit1968
I have a bad wheel monitor for about 3 years. for the past 2 years service stability light comes on and on occasion traction activation with lose of power. dealer has no idea. Other then freaking my wife out, a few lights on and occasional lose of power ( like twice a year) it has no effect on vehicle. So i just leave it alone unless anyone has a suggestion
Yes...you need to go to another dealer. I'm not sure what a "wheel monitor" is but if you are talking the ABS sensor that's an easy fix. If you have a defective module replace it.