Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my wife's 2006 Equinox. The brakes suddenly pulse and groan when driving. After driving for a while, the ABS and Traction Control lights come on and the brakes seem to work okay. After I turn the car off and start it up again, the ABS and TC lights go out, but the brakes pulse and groan until these lights come back on, then the brakes feel fine. I haven't had a chance to do anything, but it seems like from all the posts, this is a real problem with this vehicle.
Old January 24th, 2013, 8:35 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chucka
I'm having the same problem with my wife's 2006 Equinox. The brakes suddenly pulse and groan when driving. After driving for a while, the ABS and Traction Control lights come on and the brakes seem to work okay. After I turn the car off and start it up again, the ABS and TC lights go out, but the brakes pulse and groan until these lights come back on, then the brakes feel fine. I haven't had a chance to do anything, but it seems like from all the posts, this is a real problem with this vehicle.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> chucka,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue?

Please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Equinox ABS traction control problem

I did have the vehicle checked out. The ABS code is C0036, left front wheel circuit. Thanks.
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chucka
I did have the vehicle checked out. The ABS code is C0036, left front wheel circuit. Thanks.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> chucka,

This may be due to a poor connection or interference on the wheel speed circuits. This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis.

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected and repaired by a certified technician.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

I have 08 equinox and my ABS light tracktion control off light and service stability track lights all came on for one day then went off a week later they are all back on, I have heard that this can cause loss of steering ?? anyone know whats going on and how much to fix??
Old February 12th, 2013, 2:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoleandadam
I have 08 equinox and my ABS light tracktion control off light and service stability track lights all came on for one day then went off a week later they are all back on, I have heard that this can cause loss of steering ?? anyone know whats going on and how much to fix??
These warnings will not cause lack of steering.

However, if your power steering fuse is blown/becomes open, you won't have power steering and the TC, ABS, and Stabilitrak warnings will all be displayed. You will need to take your vehicle to a repair shop to have it properly diagnosed. Some common things that cause these warnings are a bad wheel speed sensor, a bad connection at the plug going to the wheel speed sensor, and a bad EGR valve. A shop with the right scan tool could narrow it down to which wheel speed sensor is bad or otherwise properly diagnose the issue. The replacing the EGR valve is a trial-and-error situation, but it has worked for me and a few other members.

Last edited by ruley73; February 12th, 2013 at 2:48 PM.
Old February 19th, 2013, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

hi guys ive been having this problem for over a year now. I also had made a thread on here about it you will see" 2005 chevy equinox abs and traction problems" I would like to say when I start my car up the lights aren't on but when I turn my wheel to the left, the abs and traction lights go on. This is still in park. I tried this again I restarted it and the lights were off. I turned my wheel to the right and nothing went on. its very strange. I tested this out in the snow too. I pulled over started it then kept my wheel straight and floored it. My traction caution light was blinking and it was stopping my tires. It works when im straight but the second I turn my wheel it goes on. It sometimes goes on immediately too but mostly the second I touch my wheel.. Any ideas. ???
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default ABS and TC Light Problem

I have a 2005 Equinox LT FWD with 86,000 miles on it and have had the ABS and TC light problem for 3 days now.
ABS engages in normal braking conditions.
Because it is my wife and the kids who are on it everyday it concerns me a lot.
I have read the thread and have pulled out the ABS fuse to disengage the ABS for the time being.
I made an appointment to have it looked at a GM dealership in a few days.
I will try to ask that they try replacing the pigtail first and see how it turns out.
After I pulled out the ABS fuse to disengage the ABS, the brakes did not show any ABS engagement.
But now the "Brakes" light is on in addition to the ABS and TC light.

Is it still safe to drive in this condition for a few days?
Is it ok to keep driving with these lights on if I choose to not use the ABS and Traction Control?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old March 16th, 2013, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Equinox ABS issues

I too have been having an issue with my ABS light coming on. The code is C0036. I had the left front bearing replaced which did solve the problem for 4 days, then it was back again. I see from reading this forum that it could be a wiring issue. If so why hasn't Chey done a recall on this problem? My SUV only has 82K miles on it.
Old March 27th, 2013, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

if you find out let me know i have a 01 that ive replaced the brakes, rotors, struts, hub assembly, abs sensor, wheel bearing, and sway bar support, i dont know what else to try

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems