Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox ABS Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Oogie,

Great news! I'm happy you were able to get your problem fixed. Thank you for sharing how you resolved the problem.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 24th, 2012, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix for the 06 Equinox ABS problem - Don't buy any parts! All I had to do was unplug the wire harness (pigtail) from the ABS unit and spray with an electrical cleaner. Plugged it back in and the problem is gone. It costed about $5 for the cleaner. If the problem comes back I plan on applying some sort of connection enhancing stuff. Anyway it's a real easy DIY. No need for dealer.
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default 06 Equinox ABS Problem

I experienced the same problems with my 06 Equinox (Canadian) with the ABS being activated at low speeds when coming to a stop. My service person, not a GM dealer, says that to change the sensor, the front wheel bearings need to be changed - as they are an integral unit with the sensor. The whole procedure costs in excess of $1,000! I notice from other threads that only the harness or even just unplug the unit and clean fixes the problem.
Old September 18th, 2012, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Re: 06 Equinox ABS Problem

JohnnyMac,

Not sure if you've gotten your ABS issue resolved but I'd still share my ABS experience. I had the same thing happen to my 2006 Equinox LT. ABS kicks in when slowing down and pulsates when I start driving. I brought it to a GM dealer and their diagnosis was my left front wheel speed sensor was out of range and needs to be replaced. Even though I told him to go ahead with it since the dealership I bought the car from would reimburse me (only had the vehicle a week), I ask the service advisor at GM to also check the wire harness from a post in this forum. When I picked up the car, I asked them if they checked the wire harness and they said they checked all wiring.

A week later, the issue came back and I brought it back to GM. This time, they did say the wire harness needs to be replaced. I'm picking up my Equinox today and hoping this issue really has been resolved. I'll post an update in a few days after I've driven the vehicle a bit.

But, if I were you I'd insist they check the wire harness (pigtail wire harness) and make sure they can provide you proof they did it.

Good luck!
Old September 18th, 2012, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default ABS Pulsation After Engine Startup

This may not be the appropriate place to post this but I can't figure out how to start a new post unless I just don't have the right to do it.

Anyway, I just picked up my 2006 Equinox from the GM dealer after they replaced the wire harness to correct my ABS problem but would like to know if anyone might have a different answer than what GM gave me to my question below.

After starting my vehicle I feel a pulsation in both gas and brake pedals almost immediately after I start to drive forward. This happens for no more than a second and only after engine startup. GM told me that it's normal and it's the ABS module re-invigorating itself, which I think means re-initializing. Do any existing Equinox owners on here notice this in their vehicle? If so, is this normal?

This is my first American car so I don't know if this is really expected since none of the Toyota, Acura nor Nissan vehicles I've owned in the past that have ABS have this behavior.

Thanks in advance!
Old September 18th, 2012, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Hi quadude73:
Thanks for the quick response. however, I was checking on the amount of work required to fix the problem - did your GM dealer say that the hub assembly needs changeout - or just replace the harness? Maybe a GM rep (Louis?) if reading this can clarify - does the hub assembly need replacing whena speed sensor/harness is replaced? I tried discussing with two GM service departments today, but I could not get a straight answer!
Old September 19th, 2012, 4:46 AM
CF Beginner

Hey JohnnyMac,

I didn't ask the GM dealer if they changed the hub assembly but my receipt only showed the wire harness replaced.
Old September 20th, 2012, 3:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by qadude73
This may not be the appropriate place to post this but I can't figure out how to start a new post unless I just don't have the right to do it.

Anyway, I just picked up my 2006 Equinox from the GM dealer after they replaced the wire harness to correct my ABS problem but would like to know if anyone might have a different answer than what GM gave me to my question below.

After starting my vehicle I feel a pulsation in both gas and brake pedals almost immediately after I start to drive forward. This happens for no more than a second and only after engine startup. GM told me that it's normal and it's the ABS module re-invigorating itself, which I think means re-initializing. Do any existing Equinox owners on here notice this in their vehicle? If so, is this normal?

This is my first American car so I don't know if this is really expected since none of the Toyota, Acura nor Nissan vehicles I've owned in the past that have ABS have this behavior.

Thanks in advance!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> qadude73,

Yes, it is normal for the ABS module to engage on startup.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 21st, 2012, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply Louis! I sent you a private message for another question I have.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Equinox ABS Issues

Just to bring you up to date. I had front left and right hubs/sensors replaced and the issue has been resolved. The shop service was very good. In the 2006 Equinox, it is necessary to replace the hub if the sensor requires replacement. Such ABS issues are hazardous and I believe GM should have issued a safety recall. Before I buy another GM product, I would like to get credit for this costly repair. There should be a way to have the sensors independent of the bearings.

Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox ABS Problem