Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox ABS Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2012, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox ABS Problem

Have at 2006 Equinox LT FWD. We have replaced the wheel bearing on the front passenger side of the vehicle twice over the last two years. Now it's the ABS and it's got us stumped. I had it into the dealership who cleaned the sensor when I had the first problem. Now with the extended warranty expired we are having more problems. The ABS has developed a noise (boing sound) just before it stops when I apply the brakes. It works both in forward and reverse, with the TC on or off. I have cleaned all sensors and cannot find anything wrong with them. Bought the manual and tester (code reader)and it indicates that there is nothing wrong
Before I take it to the dealership and it costs me bucks just to get it analysed, has anyone else had this problem and if so were you able to get it fixed.
Old April 7th, 2012, 8:49 AM
CF Monarch

Received 354 Likes on 335 Posts

Does the ABS light come on in the dash? How are you checking the sensors. Just cleaning and looking at them is not good enough? To check if it is the ABS, remove the ABS fuse and see if it does the same.
Old April 7th, 2012, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem on my wife's '05 Equinox. When coming to a stop (below 5 mph), the abs activates as if a wheel is locking up. There are no abs or traction control lights lit up on the dash. From what I have found out so far, it is likely a defective abs harness. I have not verified this yet, whether it is the left or right harness, or whether the part number is the same for both sides, or even front or rear. Anyway, the part number I have found is 22715444 and it costs $35.61 at gmpartsdirect.com, so if you can verify that this is the correct part, let us know, cause I haven't gotten that far yet.
Old April 8th, 2012, 5:38 AM
CF Beginner

No ABS light shows on the dash. Checked the sensors by cleaning and did the fush thing. When we removed the fuse the ABS/Traction Control light came on and the problem disappeared when stopping at 5 miles/hr.
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM
CF Monarch

If the problem disappeared with the ABS fuse out, then it means the problem is in the ABS system. You have to check the sensors with a meter. Cleaning is not good enough, they could look good but one of them could be bad. I don't remember what reading you are supposed to get with the meter, but you can Google it.
Old April 9th, 2012, 9:56 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Oogie,

I agree with "oldchevy", the problem may be the ABS system itself. It can be difficult to diagnose problems like this over the internet. Is this an intermittent issue or every time you brake? I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. If the problem can be duplicated, they should be able to offer a diagnosis, and repair option(s), after a physical inspection of the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 9th, 2012, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

I tried replying to this thread earlier and my post didn't show up, so trying again.

My wife's '05 Equinox has a problem when coming to a stop, the ABS activates below 5 mph as if a wheel is locking up. There are no ABS or traction control lights lit up on the dash.

From what I have found out so far, it may be a defective abs sensor harness, possibly part number 22715444. I have not yet verified that this is the correct part number yet, or whether it is the same for the left or right, or even front to rear, but you can get it online from gmpartsdirect for $35.61.

Do your own research before you order, I can't guarantee it is the problem or even the correct part. Eventually I'll get around to fixing this myself, but in the meantime I'm putting the info out there in case it helps anyone else.
Old April 9th, 2012, 9:47 PM
CF Monarch

I Changed my ABS sensors on my truck and it didn't fix the problem. It might work for you but I wasn't lucky enough.
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

No no... not the sensors. It may be the harness that is the problem, an intermittent or poor connection that causes a momentary open in the circuit.

Found this in another forum... to quote: "they diagnosed the fault as being in the harness between the left front abs speed sensor and the electronic brake control module (which would make sense for the signal dropping out to the left front and continually setting codes for the left front) .. they replaced the harness".
Old April 21st, 2012, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Finally fixed the problem on ABS noise on 06 equinox. It was a sensor problem. SYMPTOM-No light on the dash to indicate it. It made a boing sound at 5 mph. RESOLUTION-We ended up replacing the ABS sensor on the rear (NOTE right & left are same sensor if you buy). Before putting in the senor I had to make sure it seated itself okay (no debri or dirt obstructing it). Make sure it's clean and in properly. THANK GOODNESS THAT IS FIXED

Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox ABS Problem