Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Chevy Equinox - Not Impressed

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2012, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2008 Chevy Equinox - Not Impressed

In July 2008 I purchased a 2008 Chevy Equinox. My car just turned 4 years old and I have 41,000 miles. My husband had two previous Chevy trucks and they “appeared” to be good vehicles. I previously drove Toyotas. I thought the Chevy Equinox would be a reliable and safe vehicle now that I had 2 toddlers. Boy was I wrong!!! I have to say that I’m not impressed. I think they program those vehicles to start “breaking down” the second you reach the 3 year 36,000 miles mark. In October I had to have the spark plugs and wires changed due to stalling. Chevy refunded my $300 in repairs due to a letter I had received the year before stating this was an issue with the Equinox. The wires are supposed to be good for 100,000 miles and I was only at 38,000 miles at the time. Of course, I got the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> degree on why I didn’t bring it to the dealer to have them replaced. (As if I would bring it to the dealer. My husband has had a “knock” in the steering wheel since the day he purchased it and they “attempted” to fix it 3-4 times and it still had the knock. We’ve just learned to deal with it since they obviously don’t know how to fix it.)

Now my warning lights and bells started sound in my vehicle with the following messages:

Service Stabilitrak
Stabilitrak Off
Service Brake System

I had no choice but to bring it into the dealership yesterday. Was told it’s the Master Cylinder leaking in the brake booster and will cost me $958. What a wonderful Christmas present. Then of course the part has to be ordered so it may take a few days and obviously they have no vehicle to loan me because all 8 vehicles are out.

My husband will be purchasing a new vehicle next summer and I can say that he’s honestly thinking about a Toyota Tundra.
Old December 12th, 2012, 1:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

mbmberg,
Keep us posted on how the repair goes on the master cylinder. If you would like for us to check into anything, please don't hesitate to contact us via email or private message with your inquiry (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).
Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old December 12th, 2012, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks but don't think there's anything you can do. Nothing's under warranty ~ dropped car off on Monday. Called Tuesday and Wednesday before 5pm and asked for status. They say they still haven't received the part and have no updates as to when they will receive it. Asked again about a loaner and was told they still don't have one for me.

So 3 days now and driving an extra hour each morning and afternoon to make sure both kids and husband are all dropped off at where they need to be.

Not a happy camper these days!!!!
Old December 12th, 2012, 8:28 PM
CF Junior Member

mbmberg, you should look and see if your insurance would cover the cost of a loaner car while yours is in the shop.
I got my 2007 Equinox 2 years ago as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle and could not be happier. One of the best I have owned.
Old December 13th, 2012, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

mswerb........yes I was happy at 2 years also.

Checked with the dealership this morning and was told that the part is on backorder and won't be until until Monday, December 17th. They still have no vehicle for me to drive but they could go through Enterprise but I would have to pay $30 per day. So a week and a half of waking up my 3 and 6 year old one hour earlier each morning in order to get everyone where they need to be and waking them at 10pm to pick up my husband from coaching his basketball team.
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:22 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

mbmberg, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I would still communicate with the Chevrolet Customer Service rep. They may work with you and cover at least part of the cost because of your vehicle's low mileage and age.

We bought our 2007 Equinox FWD back in October 2008. It was GM Certified Pre-Owned with 28K miles. I didn't realize it at the time, but in hindsight we got a really, really good deal as we only paid $12,995 (US) for a 2 year-old vehicle (it was assembled in November 2006).

We now have just over 90K miles on it. Aside from regular maintenance (battery, tires, brakes, coolant, transmission fluid, oil changes, headlight bulbs), we've only had to replace the rear wiper motor and the EGR valve. I was able to replace both items myself using new, OEM-equivalent AC-Delco parts for under $150. You'll never be able to say that about any Toyota.

It's been a really good vehicle IMO, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I think 2007 is the perfect year. It's the only year that you can get the newer dash, four-wheel disc brakes, and no OnStar. Onstar became a standard option for the Equinox in 2008.

Last edited by ruley73; December 13th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

ruley 73, thanks........I contacted the Chevrolet Customer Service Rep (Louis) this morning. Haven't heard back yet. I also contacted the local service manager at the dealership this morning also but haven't heard back either. Now people are telling me all of their horror stories with this particular dealership.

I understand what you're saying about Toyota ~ but after owning a Toyota previously ~ I can honestly tell you how wonderful their service department is. I never had to go without a vehicle and always got a ride to and from work even if they had it for the day. The service department also always followed up.

My car has been at the Chevy dealership since Monday and I never heard a word from them ~ I had to call them this morning to find out the part is backordered. I'm not retired or a stay-at-home mom. I work and so does my husband ~ I really can't afford to be out of a vehicle. My husband works 10 miles from our house ~ I work 10 miles from my house ~ opposite directions. We are putting 100 miles per day on his truck due to all the back and forth we are doing in 1 vehicle.

This is just ridiculous!!!!
Old December 14th, 2012, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Love it when you wake up to this email from the dealerships Service Manager. Great "Customer Service"!!!!

Mandi,
In response to your previous email (see email string below). I apologize for your inconvenience, As you were informed by Hattie We Do HAVE rental vehicles.
We are doing everything in our power to expedite the part & repair time for your vehicle.
It is unfortunate about the parts delay. But there is no reason to be RUDE to My Employees. I completely understand your frustration, if you need any other information contact me directly.
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Let me first say that I am not accusing you of doing anything wrong. I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, so who I am to judge?

What I will say though is that if you were rude to the employees then it serves you right, and I see nothing wrong with the message. I believe it is highly unlikely that the service manager would send such a message if it was not justified.

Whether you like it or not, a GM dealership is never required to give anyone loaner vehicle. Even if the service manager wanted to, the dealership's owner may have a policy in place that strictly prohibits this. For all you know, the owner has told their employees that they are terminated if they violate this. Yelling at them or angrily demanding one is not going to change this or magically persuade them to give you one. If anything it will encourage them to be less empathetic and less likely cut you a break if they are able to do so. In other words, they will be more likely to do only what is required, but otherwise make the situation as miserable as possible for you. This logic can be applied to any confrontation with a seller or service provider - let them know how you feel, but don't be "that guy" that is a complete jerk about it.

But back to the point, if a GM vehicle's repairs are covered under warranty, the dealership is only required to provide "alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses" per the GM Courtesy Transportation Program. All the GM dealerships in my area provide a free courtesy shuttle service to all customers fulfill this requirement.

Last edited by ruley73; December 14th, 2012 at 1:06 PM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

ruley73.....You're right, I've always been taught not to judge. I'm not sure if saying "Are you kidding me?" or "This is ridiculous" is considered rude or not but I can sure tell you that having someone's vehicle for 3 days without any updates on the status of the part that was ordered ~ and then me finding out it would be there through the weekend because it was "backordered" ONLY because I initiated all communication, is extremely poor "Customer Service". Seriously??? Were they ever going to all me?

We asked about the "loaner" ONLY because when my husband dropped off the vehicle and the service technician said the part would need to be ordered so the car would have to stay ~ HER words to my husband were................."And I don't have a car to give you. We only have 8 loaners and they are all out but as soon as one comes in, we'll call you." That's why I kept asking about the status of the "loaner".

Quick Reply: 2008 Chevy Equinox - Not Impressed