Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Equinox door problems

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2016, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 Chev Equinox and am also having problems with the door locks. Front passenger door lock no longer works. I have to manually lock/unlock it. It's been rather inconvenient and I often forget to manually lock the door when I get out. The button on that side does however work to lock/unlock the other 3 doors, just not that one. From what I've read, broken wires is a common problem. Is there a recall if this is such a common/known issue? Would the button on that side still work for the other doors if it's the actuator that has stopped working? I haven't pulled the door panel apart yet to look as I want to be prepared with the right parts so I don't waste my time doing it multiple times. And the actuator is quite expensive.
Thanks.
Old July 6th, 2016, 12:30 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicole325
...Is there a recall if this is such a common/known issue?
There is no recall for this issue.

Originally Posted by Nicole325
Would the button on that side still work for the other doors if it's the actuator that has stopped working?
Yes, the button will still work fine if that actuator is not working.
Old September 21st, 2016, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here, locks / actuators work only intermittently whether using interior buttons or keyfob, and in some cases the alarm will arm and sound when the door is opened (which it shouldn't because the doors should have locked).

Also have condensation in the headlights.

It's my wife's car and she loves it, these issues notwithstanding. I'm ready to give another manufacturer a shot in this vehicle class.
The following users liked this post:
Amanda King (April 23rd, 2021)
Old October 3rd, 2016, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Need help Asap

My 2008 Equinox will not lock/unlock when using the FOB or when using the buttons inside. I have repaired broken wires on drivers door with no change. The door locks will make noise then slowly fade to a point where only the relay in the fuse box can be heard clicking. Does anyone have a fix for this issue? This is on all four doors. I have never seen symptoms like this in reference to the fading of all four actuators when the switch is activated more than once. Please help or maybe someone at Chevrolet could chime in with a solution.
Old October 4th, 2016, 3:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Shafeg
My 2008 Equinox will not lock/unlock when using the FOB or when using the buttons inside. I have repaired broken wires on drivers door with no change. The door locks will make noise then slowly fade to a point where only the relay in the fuse box can be heard clicking. Does anyone have a fix for this issue? This is on all four doors. I have never seen symptoms like this in reference to the fading of all four actuators when the switch is activated more than once. Please help or maybe someone at Chevrolet could chime in with a solution.
Hello Shafeg,

We certainly understand your desire to reach a resolution for your key fob concern. Although we are not trained technicians, we would be glad to connect with your dealership to discuss this further. We're available via private message and would need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership to move forward.

Thanks!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 30th, 2016, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2008 Equinox and honestly its the worse of the Chevy's I own and I currently own 3 and its my 9th GM car. My next one isn't going to be one. I am afraid with all these issues and horrible gas mileage. Its time to change...

My issues are:

1 -The stabil-Track and check engine lights come on all the time but my OBD-!! reader doesn't pick up codes most of the time and when it does its the p0404 code. I have replaced the EGR valve twice, gas cap and still it happens. One time it even reduced the power while on the highway!

2 - The power door locks don't work. Rear Passenger door lock clicks but nothing happens, the front passenger door lock works less than half the time. The driver door lock works 1 time. Its rear door lock tries to lock but only closes halfway

3 - The headlights are permanently fogged over due to moisture.

Really Chevy????? No recalls???? I read hundreds of posts on the web with people having these same exact issues and yet Chevy does nothing. One dealer quoted me almost 900 to change the actuators. Given the amount of people who have the exact same problem and the dropped power and door locks are safety issues.

Jasmine...I sent a private message I am the original owner with 94K miles.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bcm

for the stabilizer light/CEL/limp home mode, try this it is cheap and takes 15 minutes and cost is about $10.remove the center facia, 2 screws 5 minutes. Below the radio is the BCM pull out the plugs and spray with electronic contact cleaner, then insert the plugs and slide them in and out a few times to ensure the pins are good and clean. Now apply some dielectric grease to the plugs to keep any further problems from coming back.
This worked on our 2006 Torrent, the only problem is that contact cleaner really smells and takes a day to disapate. Being someone who likes to be really really extra sure so I bought some packets of silica gel, and put them in some of the gaps.This problem occurred 3 times in a week , but after the cleaning it never happened again
Old July 11th, 2017, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone else measured the voltage to the actuator? I am having similar issues with all four doors and am going through the electrical connections before pulling the actuator. I measure ~5 volts at the driver's door and the same at the fuse panel (fuse 8). This seems low to me, as the other circuits from the panel are at full voltage. Can anyone else verify the voltage for this circuit? In the meantime, I am chasing the grounds.
Old July 12th, 2017, 8:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if its a 5 wire connector...3 will be used for door position...and they will be a 5 volt ref, 0volt grd and maybe 4.8 on the signal.
Old July 13th, 2017, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks tech2, yes it's a 5 wire, so I guess the circuit is good. Time to order some actuators.

Quick Reply: 2008 Equinox door problems