Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2009 Equinox transmission cooling lines installation

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2021, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 2009 Equinox transmission cooling lines installation

I am trying to replace my transmission cooling lines and can't seem to plug them into the quick connectors on the radiator. I have brand new connectors that screw into the rad and I tried to fit them to the line to check fit and it was very tight. I could only get it in if I pushed hard and twisted it at the same time. When I installed the connector on the rad I couldn't push hard enough and couldn't twist it at all. I even tried using a lever to pry it in but no luck. I only tried the lower one because the upper one would reduce access to the other. Any ideas?
Old March 30th, 2021, 12:05 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by laflammp
I am trying to replace my transmission cooling lines and can't seem to plug them into the quick connectors on the radiator. I have brand new connectors that screw into the rad and I tried to fit them to the line to check fit and it was very tight. I could only get it in if I pushed hard and twisted it at the same time. When I installed the connector on the rad I couldn't push hard enough and couldn't twist it at all. I even tried using a lever to pry it in but no luck. I only tried the lower one because the upper one would reduce access to the other. Any ideas?
Does your Equinox have the 3.4L (LS/LT/LTZ) or 3.6L (Sport)? On ours with the 3.4L, I had to remove the small metal clips and reinstall them after the hoses are inserted. Some people have been able to push the hoses in without removing the clips though. I suppose you could try lubing them up with some trans fluid before pushing them in, but I recommend removing the clips if possible.
Old April 4th, 2021, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is an Equinox LT with 3.4L. I ended up sanding the ends of the transmission lines with emery cloth. I first tried it under the car but found it very difficult so I took the lines out and also the connectors on the radiator. I sanded both upper and lower lines until I could push it into the connector without twisting it. Everything is now back together and no leaks.
The following 2 users liked this post by laflammp:
Buzzintx (April 27th, 2021), ruley73 (April 4th, 2021)