Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2016, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Equinox Oil Consumption

My Chevy Equinox is consuming way to much oil. My last oil change at 3,000 miles I was 3 quarts low of oil. My Equinox was very loud and has been stalling. There is a smell of exhaust inside when I start it. When I had 52,000 miles on it I had to replace the engine for the same problem I am having now with the new engine. The new engine has only 75,000 miles on it and will probably have to be replaced. Since my new engine only has 75,000 miles on it, is it still covered on the Powertrain warranty. My vehicle has 128,000 miles on it. I think GM needs to take care of the problem. Obviously the Ecotech is not a good engine.
Old January 29th, 2016, 6:33 AM
CF Beginner

Good luck, my wife's just detonated yesterday. 101,016 miles on it and they say due to being low on oil (even though we had the engine serviced recently and fluids are checked on a bi-weekly bases) the timing gear failed and took out the cylinder head. Same story as 10's of thousands of others. Hope GM steps up for you, still waiting to hear on mine.
Old January 29th, 2016, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Took my 2010 Equinox to HEALEY in Poughkeepsie so they could do Both recalls and to answer some questions. 1. Why car consumes so much oil. 2. Why does it smell like exhaust when I turn it on. 3 check engine light stays on. Apparently Chevy knows about this chronic issue and have an extended warranty for this problem. However I was told that I missed it because my car has 121k miles and the Extended Warrenty expires at 120k. The problem I know have is a cracked Exhust Manfold and Cat converter needs replacing. I was offered by a HEALEY personnel to trade-in my car but I haven't finish paying for my fully loaded car! Sounds like I ought to trade it in for a forgein make and model. Why buy American cars if it isn't made well! I only found out about the recall from this forum and nothing about the extended Warrenty. I should have contacted about everything. I bought 3 Chevys from this same dealership! This is so messed up!

Last edited by Senora Lori Melendez; January 29th, 2016 at 9:04 PM.
Old February 1st, 2016, 1:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by christinegombos@yahoo.com
My Chevy Equinox is consuming way to much oil. My last oil change at 3,000 miles I was 3 quarts low of oil. My Equinox was very loud and has been stalling. There is a smell of exhaust inside when I start it. When I had 52,000 miles on it I had to replace the engine for the same problem I am having now with the new engine. The new engine has only 75,000 miles on it and will probably have to be replaced. Since my new engine only has 75,000 miles on it, is it still covered on the Powertrain warranty. My vehicle has 128,000 miles on it. I think GM needs to take care of the problem. Obviously the Ecotech is not a good engine.
Hello Christine,

We can certainly recognize how this would be frustrating and apologize for any inconveniences caused to you. We’d be happy to look further into this oil consumption concern further on your behalf. To best assist you, please send us a private message with the following details: VIN, current mileage, full contact information and preferred dealership.

Kindly,

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 1st, 2016, 1:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Senora Lori Melendez
Took my 2010 Equinox to HEALEY in Poughkeepsie so they could do Both recalls and to answer some questions. 1. Why car consumes so much oil. 2. Why does it smell like exhaust when I turn it on. 3 check engine light stays on. Apparently Chevy knows about this chronic issue and have an extended warranty for this problem. However I was told that I missed it because my car has 121k miles and the Extended Warrenty expires at 120k. The problem I know have is a cracked Exhust Manfold and Cat converter needs replacing. I was offered by a HEALEY personnel to trade-in my car but I haven't finish paying for my fully loaded car! Sounds like I ought to trade it in for a forgein make and model. Why buy American cars if it isn't made well! I only found out about the recall from this forum and nothing about the extended Warrenty. I should have contacted about everything. I bought 3 Chevys from this same dealership! This is so messed up!
Hello Lori,

We are very sorry to hear of this situation and understand your disappointment. If you would like us to stand as an additional layer of assistance between yourself and the dealership, we’d be happy to do so. If interested, please send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information and any additional details you see fit.

Best,

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 16th, 2016, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

Hi, I am having the exact same problem, but thank God I am under 120,000 miles...... can you tell me where you found out the information regarding the extended warranty on this specific issue? Thank you so very much!
Old February 23rd, 2016, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox Oil Consumption

My dealer in Houston is tracking the oil consumption at about 500 mile intervals. I change my own oil and took it to the dealer right after the oil and filter change. At the 1800 mile mark, I am at the HALF level on the oil stick. At the next check in about a week, we will begin discussing either repairing the engine or replacing it at GM expense. If they do not repair or replace, then I will contact the Federal Consumer Protection Group and file a class action lawsuit.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 8:40 PM
CF Veteran

so in the center of the crosshatch on the dipstick? if that's the case you're within spec. Its not considered excessive consumption unless its more than 1qt. in 2000 miles with the correct oil and checked 15min. after the engine is turned off.

the crosshatch on the dipstick represents 1qt from the min mark to the max mark