Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 equinox sway bar shifting

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2014, 6:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 equinox sway bar shifting

The sway bar has slid to the drivers side so that on sharp turns the sway bar link hits the strut. Has anyone heard of this happening? This is the second time it has happened. What is supposed to hold it in place. In the mounting brackets? Dick
Old September 23rd, 2014, 5:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry for the repeat issues you've encountered with the sway bar, Dick. Hopefully a few members will chime in to offer their advice. Although I'm unable to technically advise, I'd be happy to check with my internal resources about this. Send us the last 8 digits of your VIN if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 23rd, 2014, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 equinox sway bar problem.

The last 8 digits of the vin are A6318019.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdmymoore
The sway bar has slid to the drivers side so that on sharp turns the sway bar link hits the strut. Has anyone heard of this happening? This is the second time it has happened. What is supposed to hold it in place. In the mounting brackets? Dick
The sway bar bracket bushings hold the sway bar in place. Those bushings are either really bad or missing because the sway bar has a rib near the bushing on each side which is there specifically to keep the sway bar from moving laterally. Replacement bushings are under $30 for the pair, and replacing them is relatively easy. I've attached instructions for replacing them.

2010-Equinox-stabilizer-shaft-insulator-replacement.pdf
Old September 24th, 2014, 5:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Re 2010 sway bar sliding

Thanks for the info. The fellow who worked on it the first time said he didn't see any ribs to hold it in place. I will get it checked out again. Thanks. Dick
Old September 25th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for providing the last eight digits of your VIN, Rdmymoore. We will be sending you a private message shortly to discuss your concern further. We hope to hear from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 25th, 2014, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Re 2010 Equinox sway bar problem

The problem has been identified and fixed temporarily. The sway bar by the way, still has the original Canadian part number tag on it.

The sway bar had two ribs on it (actually two heavy washers that were probably spot-welded to the bar) that sit on the inside of the sway bar mounting brackets to keep the bar from sliding in either horizontal direction. Unfortunately, one of the ribs had broken loose which allowed the bar to slide through the rib to the drivers side until the sway bar link would hit the strut on sharp turns.

Rather than putting heat on the sway bar by trying to spot-weld the rib back on I have a hose clamp on the sway bar to prevent any horizontal movement.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Dick
Old September 25th, 2014, 8:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

The only real solution would be to replace the sway bar. It is part number 25918985 and can be had on eBay for around $65 (US). It retails for about $85 (US) from your local GM stealership.
Old September 25th, 2014, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruley73
The only real solution would be to replace the sway bar. It is part number 25918985 and can be had on eBay for around $65 (US). It retails for about $85 (US) from your local GM stealership.
I disagree. There is no reason you cannot get the sway bar repaired at a welding shop.
Old September 26th, 2014, 5:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys. I will probably see how the hose clamp fix holds up and then decide what to do. Let's call this one done. Dick

Quick Reply: 2010 equinox sway bar shifting