Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2012 Equinox engine problems

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2021, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Equinox engine problems

159,000 miles on original engine, replaced exhaust manifold twice, catalytic converters and all O2 sensors and just had a new engine put in after excessive oil consumption issues and a broken timing chain. We’ve had the car back less than 1 week and my husband was driving it when the check engine light, stabilitrack light and warning for rescued engine power came on. He limped it to the shop and we’re now waiting to see how much money we get to dump into this thing - new engine warranty is parts only so we get to pay labor costs!!!

We also get an exhaust smell in the car when it is in idle. Having them check that out while they have it.

On top of the engine issues and thousands of dollars spent, the leather seats are cracking and tearing, which I’ve read to be an issue with these cars.

One we get it back, this car is being sold because I can’t put any more money into it. With everything we’ve paid so far, we could have nearly bought the car a 2nd time!! I will never own another GM product!!
Old March 26th, 2021, 2:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the result of this, any coverage for your problems? We missed the lawsuit and the propblems are not solved. My 2012 Equinox just died due to timing chain and oil consumption issues- $6K for a new engine. GARBAGE.
Old March 26th, 2021, 4:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No luck with Chevy

Unfortunately, we paid the $5000 for a new engine…No, I’d like To sell the thing but only getting dealer offers around $2500, way less then we just put down for the new engine. We’re going to try it selling it ourselves next month but will probably still eat at least $1000 from what we put into it for the engine. Thankfully we don’t need a 3rd car so in no rush to replace it but when we do, Chevy/GM will likely not be on my list. Good luck with your car!