Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2012 Equinox transmission problems?

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2015, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tans issue

Originally Posted by verydisappointed44
I recently purchased a certified 2012 Chevy Equinox LT. I started experience shifting issues that cause the car to lunge forward when changing between 1st and 2nd and/or 3rd gears. I brought it in the service area after less than one month ownership to have them tell that they never heard of their cars having this issue. I then went on to this site and realize that there are many equinox owners that are experiencing this very issue. I am extremely disappointed in the dealership
selling me a vehicle that they must know has transmission safety issues.

I see from other consumers postings that the service departments usually say that they cannot duplicate the customers complaints and therefore they are left with no other choice but to sell their vehicles. This is unacceptable and unfair to people who pay their hard earned money for a vehicle that is not safe to drive and GM is unwilling to admit their is a problem with their transmissions.

I spoke to GM on this issue and the district service manager in Atlanta and they both would not admit there was an issue. But when I spoke to the service manager at my selling dealership he stated is wife's car was doing the same thing . He told me they traded in on a v6 and the problem was gone. I also spoke to my service writer and he has the same drive train in his Chevy Cruze and it shift with the same issue. I also filed a complaint with the NTSB but because the isn't enough complaints they are not ready to investigate.
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

I will also call the NTSB. If we all did we will get better results from GM. I will have to find a way to trade in this vehicle. Never will I buy another GM vehicle!
Old April 24th, 2015, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Question transmission

Like you
katie_winks i have suffer the same issues. and like many other equinox owners transmission problems are happening. I really like my suv but this problems makes me think twice of staying with the chevy family. My truck slips on 1st and 2nd gears with a hard kick.. at first i felt some one rear ended me but i was alone on the road.. Does any one know if their is a recall? if not (i know some one in chevy head quarters must be looking at this) we need to start recalling to get this problems viewed. I know about wear and tear but its different if it comes from the manufacturer. Please help
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

I fixed my transmission problem. I thought I should update u all on what was the problem. Turns out my issue was in relation to the spark plug wires. I had to hold my ground with the dealer and drive with the transmission technician in order to show him what the issue and right away he said that the issue will be in a the wires or plugs area. He said that it was not slippage even though it feels like it. So, another technician looked at and replaced the wires. That fixed the issue but not that alone. They also reset the tcm. Here is what I think happened. The wires went bad then caused ignition or power irregularly that caused my tcm to go out of wack. They said that that can't happen but I don't believe that. So, before you go replacing your transmission go to the dealer and take a test drive together. Don't go to anyone else then the dealer because they will want to replace a transmission and it won't be necessary.

As far as my ignition key issue that is still the same and Chevy should be ashamed of so many people having the same issue.

Hope this helps y'all!

Originally Posted by vam91786
Like you
katie_winks i have suffer the same issues. and like many other equinox owners transmission problems are happening. I really like my suv but this problems makes me think twice of staying with the chevy family. My truck slips on 1st and 2nd gears with a hard kick.. at first i felt some one rear ended me but i was alone on the road.. Does any one know if their is a recall? if not (i know some one in chevy head quarters must be looking at this) we need to start recalling to get this problems viewed. I know about wear and tear but its different if it comes from the manufacturer. Please help
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Smoking issues

Good day yesterday I topped up our oil level with the correct oil type, after driving apx 10 meters my exhaust pipe started to shot out very thick grey/black smoke like very badly. And the car started to act as if I was breaking hard then unable to speed up. When car was in park it was still doing. THe same. Car became un drivable and needed to be towed. No warning lights turned on and engine temp was normal. Also could rev past 1.5.

Can you provide what could be caused I of this problem and if this would be covered under powertain or engine warranty?

Last edited by Svautour; April 26th, 2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Equinox

I bought my 2010 equinox in 2010 new. From the day I bought this suv I have been experiencing problems.

Within one week the car shut off in the middle of traffic - the good thing is the car started right back up without a delay.

There has been and is still a constant knocking sound coming from the rare area.

The car randomly jerks while driving when ncreasing speed. (The service tech told me he doesn't know where to begin to look for the issue.)

Upon startup the vehicle is loud and rattles from purchase date to now. This sound calms then goes away after driving for 10 mins. or so.

I'll pause for a moment to mentiom that my vehicle now has just under 50k miles.

The timing chain was replaced around 20-30k miles.

I've been told numerous times by the dealership that for the most part they can't mirror the issues I have described as experiencing.

Without going on and on about this suv, since I seem to be experiencing a lot of the issues as other forum members, I'll spare you the full details.

A month ago, my check engine light turned on, the highest speed allowed was 20, the gear moved to reverse but the vehicle wouldn't move not to mention a very loud humming and rattling sound.

Had the suv towed to the same dealer, they kept the car for 4 to 5 days. I was told for the most part I have a new trans. The way it was explained to me is, there are many moving parts to the trans that are housed in a canister. The canister was not damaged so it was cleaned and reused but all the moving parts were replaced.

Friday night driving home from work going up a ramp, the vehicle started rolling backwards. Thankfully no one was behind me. I reversed to park out of the way of traffic. Turned car off then started it again and put the car in drive...the car didn't move.

Had it towed to the same dealership. A different tech person tells me all the parts of the trans were not replaced only what was related to the reverse gear not working were fixed. Oh the tech person made certain to tell me my 5 year power train warranty expires in 5 days.

I am very disappointed to have read on many search engines many and I mean many 2010 equinox ownera are having the same problem and GM has done nothing to resolve the issue. I have held on to this vehicle with hopes the isues would be properly resolved, but I have lost all hope. I rent cars when I have to drive long distance because I am scared I'll get stuck on the highway in my own car.

This is the first Chevy I've owed and currently feel like I will never purchase another. I hate to trade the car in for some other person to have to deal with the problems. With a 2010 and 50k miles some person will think they were blessed or lucky to have found this SUV.

I don't know what to do about or with this equinox.
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mallen000
I bought my 2010 equinox in 2010 new. From the day I bought this suv I have been experiencing problems.

Within one week the car shut off in the middle of traffic - the good thing is the car started right back up without a delay.

There has been and is still a constant knocking sound coming from the rare area.

The car randomly jerks while driving when ncreasing speed. (The service tech told me he doesn't know where to begin to look for the issue.)

Upon startup the vehicle is loud and rattles from purchase date to now. This sound calms then goes away after driving for 10 mins. or so.

I'll pause for a moment to mentiom that my vehicle now has just under 50k miles.

The timing chain was replaced around 20-30k miles.

I've been told numerous times by the dealership that for the most part they can't mirror the issues I have described as experiencing.

Without going on and on about this suv, since I seem to be experiencing a lot of the issues as other forum members, I'll spare you the full details.

A month ago, my check engine light turned on, the highest speed allowed was 20, the gear moved to reverse but the vehicle wouldn't move not to mention a very loud humming and rattling sound.

Had the suv towed to the same dealer, they kept the car for 4 to 5 days. I was told for the most part I have a new trans. The way it was explained to me is, there are many moving parts to the trans that are housed in a canister. The canister was not damaged so it was cleaned and reused but all the moving parts were replaced.

Friday night driving home from work going up a ramp, the vehicle started rolling backwards. Thankfully no one was behind me. I reversed to park out of the way of traffic. Turned car off then started it again and put the car in drive...the car didn't move.

Had it towed to the same dealership. A different tech person tells me all the parts of the trans were not replaced only what was related to the reverse gear not working were fixed. Oh the tech person made certain to tell me my 5 year power train warranty expires in 5 days.

I am very disappointed to have read on many search engines many and I mean many 2010 equinox ownera are having the same problem and GM has done nothing to resolve the issue. I have held on to this vehicle with hopes the isues would be properly resolved, but I have lost all hope. I rent cars when I have to drive long distance because I am scared I'll get stuck on the highway in my own car.

This is the first Chevy I've owed and currently feel like I will never purchase another. I hate to trade the car in for some other person to have to deal with the problems. With a 2010 and 50k miles some person will think they were blessed or lucky to have found this SUV.

I don't know what to do about or with this equinox.
Hello Mallen000,

We truly apologize for the frustrating situation! This is definitely not the kind of impression we wanted to provide you as a first Chevrolet owner. We would be more than happy to look into this more, and possibly reach out to the dealership for more updates. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership you are working with. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 5th, 2015, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Trans issue

If you give your dealer $8000 to $10000 they can solve your problem . They will will hand you keys to a v6 engine vehicle and take your vehicle and sell it to another unsuspecting soul. That is how my dealer solved my problem. And let's keep sending complaints to the NTSB and eventually all of us will be compensated for Chevrolets mistake. I wish you luck on trying to gets this repaired. Oh and get ready for "SORRY WE CAN NOT DUPLICATE YOUR PROBLEM '.
Old August 21st, 2015, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

I have the same hard shifting problem with the same 'rear ended' feeling. First experienced at 4 weeks after purchase of my 2012 new vehicle.The problem has been getting more intense with increased frequency. I had stopped complaining to the service personal because I had the same response as other forum members. I agree they must know about this problem since we are having the same experience. Of course I am now out of warranty and it sounds to me for my safety and my 88 yrs old Mother I need to replace my Equinox. What a shame to consider changing vehicles when this was perfect for Mother's wheelchair and the ride and seats where so comfortable. It was the perfect vehicle for my lifestyle until I lost confidence in its safety! Time to go shopping!
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Transmission slipping

My parents are loyal GM customers and have bought 3 brand new cars from GM in the last 5 years. The first GM they bought is a 2011 Equinox which they gave to me after several large repairs. Timing chain replaced twice, high pressure fuel system replaced twice, water pump replaced twice due to timing chain going out, catalytic converter replaced because exhaust manifold cracked because timing chain and water pump going out, and now the transmission is slipping and revving up and not going into gear. GMs answer is always "it's not under warranty" and it's gonna cost you xx amount of dollars to fix. I have done my research and this seems to be a very common problem and GM will not stand behind their product. What a joke. I was a tier 2 employee for GM at a call center and know this car should be fixed at least he expense of GM due to multiple problems of the same nature, multiple repairs for the same problem, loyal GM customers spending $80,000+ in the last 5 years. This is an outrage. I have a 2 year old son who I need reliable transportation for as well as for work. This is the reason my parents gave me the car in the first place. Is GM going to step up to the plate on this repair? Highly doubt it, and I don't have an extra $4000 to have the repairs performed. Probably going to have to buy a bike to get to work to support my family.

Quick Reply: 2012 Equinox transmission problems?