Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2018 Equinox suddenly died

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2024, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Equinox suddenly died

Today…while sitting in a drive threw my 2018 equinox suddenly died. Everything in the dash started flashing and I could hear a clicking sound. I seen a low battery or battery saver message, and some break message (forget exactly what it said). Reset everything and press start, nearly started and then did the same thing. I
tried to start a minute later when the car in front moved no luck. Had to walk to the window and ask if someone could push while I steered to a parking spot…embarrassing a bit.
Sat in the parking spot for a couple minutes and tried to start again and it started. Drove back home.

Later I drove it around the neighborhood with auto stop off (L6 work around) no issues. Turned auto stop on and stopped in front of the house. The car went into auto stop and then after a few minutes of sitting there the same thing happened. Waited 5minutes and it started right up and ran fine.

so it seems if I drive with auto stop off no issues, if I have it on and I am stopped for a short period of time it dies and won’t start for a short time. Newer battery and it seems to run between 12-14.5 V.

any ideas?
any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old February 10th, 2024, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Those modern systems are so complicated, you really need all the help and clues you can get. Swing by an Autozone and get full diagnostic scan.
Old February 14th, 2024, 10:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Xjvhax
Today…while sitting in a drive threw my 2018 equinox suddenly died. Everything in the dash started flashing and I could hear a clicking sound. I seen a low battery or battery saver message, and some break message (forget exactly what it said). Reset everything and press start, nearly started and then did the same thing. I
tried to start a minute later when the car in front moved no luck. Had to walk to the window and ask if someone could push while I steered to a parking spot…embarrassing a bit.
Sat in the parking spot for a couple minutes and tried to start again and it started. Drove back home.

Later I drove it around the neighborhood with auto stop off (L6 work around) no issues. Turned auto stop on and stopped in front of the house. The car went into auto stop and then after a few minutes of sitting there the same thing happened. Waited 5minutes and it started right up and ran fine.

so it seems if I drive with auto stop off no issues, if I have it on and I am stopped for a short period of time it dies and won’t start for a short time. Newer battery and it seems to run between 12-14.5 V.

any ideas?
any help is appreciated, thanks.
Your vehicle probably still has the original battery and it most likely needs to be replaced.
Old February 15th, 2024, 1:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
Your vehicle probably still has the original battery and it most likely needs to be replaced.
Batteries don't power vehicles. Alternators do. The battery's only job is to start the car, which it did. 🤦‍♂️