Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Common Issues with Chevy Equinox (2008)

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2015, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Common Issues with Chevy Equinox (2008)

Forgive me if I didn't do this right, I'm new here.

I'm just curious if everyone has experienced these issues and what you've done to get them fixed. Whether it be out of pocket, warranty, or GM making good on a bad model.

I've had nothing but issues since purchasing my 2008 Chevy Equinox back in 2012. About 30 days after purchasing it the automatic door locks stopped working. I can not use the key fob or the inside lock/unlock feature for 3 out of 4 doors. Luckily the driver's side door does lock and unlock with the key fob for the most part, but I have to reach around to unlock/lock all the others. The liftgate works fine. It's going to be a safety issue when we have children. I took it to the Chevy dealer I was told it would cost $500+ to fix it. On top of this I'm constantly getting an engine 4 misfire check engine light (every 3 months or so) and the paint on the roof of my car is peeling off. Just last year I blew a head gasket. The car is only 7 years old and since I've owned it I've taken great care of it!

I used to only purchase Nissans and my Dad convinced me to get a Chevy because he loves them. I've had nothing but problems with my Chevy and can't wait to pay it off and get rid of it. What a money suck of a car.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix the locks, paint, and check engine light issue without having to break the bank? GM Should be ashamed at the issues this model Equinox has.

It's worth noting I found this article stating that someone who also had a 2008 model received this letter, but I never received one (for the engine misfire: http://www.longwebs.org/Equinox/Equi...kPlugWires.pdf)

I also found where many Equinox owners discussed how their paint started coming off.
Old March 4th, 2015, 6:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the door lock issue is likely broken wiring in the door jam.
the misfire maybe cracked spark plug insulator. remove the #4 plug and inspect the white ceramic portion. if any hairline cracks are detected, replace the 4plug and plug wire.

Last edited by tech2; March 4th, 2015 at 6:57 PM.
Old March 9th, 2015, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default Additional Issues

Originally Posted by tech2
the misfire maybe cracked spark plug insulator. remove the #4 plug and inspect the white ceramic portion. if any hairline cracks are detected, replace the 4plug and plug wire.
I've had the cylinder 4 misfire checked out and there is nothing wrong that would be causing it to come on. I think it might just be a standing issue with the 2008 equinox model.

Just starting yesterday when I turn the car off and open my driver side door the radio keeps playing. I can shut my door and the radio will still be going. However, if I open my passenger side door or any others, it will cut off. I have no idea what's wrong with all the wiring on this car but I really can't believe that one car can have all of these electrical problems.

I'm very disappointed in Chevy. I'll never buy another one of their cars again.
Old March 9th, 2015, 8:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by LFernan85
I've had the cylinder 4 misfire checked out and there is nothing wrong that would be causing it to come on. I think it might just be a standing issue with the 2008 equinox model.

Just starting yesterday when I turn the car off and open my driver side door the radio keeps playing. I can shut my door and the radio will still be going. However, if I open my passenger side door or any others, it will cut off. I have no idea what's wrong with all the wiring on this car but I really can't believe that one car can have all of these electrical problems.

I'm very disappointed in Chevy. I'll never buy another one of their cars again.
what did they do to check out the misfire?

again...the wiring in your door A-pillar is broken
this is a repair forum... so that is where I would start if you are here to fix it. if you here to vent at chevy; let me know and I will stop posting.

Last edited by tech2; March 9th, 2015 at 8:34 AM.
Old March 10th, 2015, 8:16 AM
CF Junior Member

This is info right on - you have 2 issues, a broken wire in the door jam (easy fix) and plug/wire/insulator for #4 cylinder (replace #4 specific wire/plug).
My neighbor has the exact same #4 missfire issue with his Ford Escape - he replaced the coil/wire/plug for #4 to fix his Ford. It's not a 2008 Nox specific problem.
Old March 10th, 2015, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tomwalt
This is info right on - you have 2 issues, a broken wire in the door jam (easy fix) and plug/wire/insulator for #4 cylinder (replace #4 specific wire/plug).
My neighbor has the exact same #4 missfire issue with his Ford Escape - he replaced the coil/wire/plug for #4 to fix his Ford. It's not a 2008 Nox specific problem.
Is replacing the wire in the door jam easy? I'm not a car person but would be willing to try. The plug/coil has been replaced and it's continuing to produce a check engine light every 3 months. I've read this was a known issue but I never personally received the letter chevy sent out acknowledging it so I could get it fixed.

I believe the door lock is a solenoid something or other. Would that need replaced in just one door or all doors?
Old March 10th, 2015, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

what did they do to check out the misfire?

again...the wiring in your door A-pillar is broken
this is a repair forum... so that is where I would start if you are here to fix it. if you here to vent at chevy; let me know and I will stop posting.
My head gasket blew out and everything was replaced that kept producing that error. So I'm at a loss for why it would continue. It's been to the shop 3 times and they can't figure out why it's continuing.

I was hoping someone else experienced it and could advise.