Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Equinox 07 Radio

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2011, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equinox 07 Radio

Hi,

is it possible to add the 05 Subwoofer in an 07 LS model. I can find the subwoofer at the junkyard near me. What will I need to do this upgrade?

thanks in advance

Pascal
Old July 13th, 2011, 2:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by prheaume
Hi,

is it possible to add the 05 Subwoofer in an 07 LS model. I can find the subwoofer at the junkyard near me. What will I need to do this upgrade?

thanks in advance

Pascal
The audio systems between 2005-2006 and 2007-2009 Equinox are different. While they are similar and physically interchangable, it would be extremely difficult to integrate an OEM subwoofer from a 2005-2006 into your Equinox because the wiring is different between these two year ranges. The sub only came with the premium sound option for all years, and in this setup the main speakers and sub are all powered with one external amplifier. With your current setup, the speakers are all powered via the radio's internal amp. You would need the respective wiring harnesses for the OEM amplifier for a 2007-2009 Equinox to do it without any wire cutting or splicing. Also, if you currently have the base radio that does not play MP3 files you would also need to purchase & install the one that does play MP3 files because I don't think the base radio can output a low-level signal that is required for the factory amp to be used.

It would be far easier and cheaper to install a compact aftermarket powered sub (like this one) and it would likely sound much better than the OEM sub you had in mind. It could be installed in one afternoon for under $250 for the sub and sufficient wiring if you did it yourself. The hardest part would be tapping into the speaker wiring to feed the powered sub a signal.

I have attached some wiring diagrams below that you may find useful.

2005 Equinox premium radio 2005Equinox_Radio_premium.pdf
2007 Equinox base radio link here
2007 Equinox premium radio 2007Equinox_Radio_premium_1of2.pdf
......................................2007Equinox_Radio_premium_2of2.pdf

Last edited by ruley73; June 9th, 2015 at 1:26 PM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks a lot for the infos! I've been looking for the aftermarket compact subs but I was looking for a stock looking before. But it will be too expensive to go GM way on this I believe.

I've found a module from MTX on the internet that you plug on your OEM radio (I have the MP3 one) and it gives you ouput to connect amp on it. It connects before or after the OEM amp (in my case it as to be after). It sounds like 90$ to get this. But I'm not sure the OEM radio + the module will be as good as an average quality aftermarket radio.