Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

equinox 2011 alarm soundig

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2019, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy equinox 2011 alarm soundig

Hello all,
I have a 2011 equinox that is sounding a bell like when you turn off your engine and open the door to let you know that the key is in the ignition, even when i take the key out it still chimes, and none of the fobs will do anything so I have to leave the car unlocked. has this ever happened to anyone here ? Sure could use some help here, Thank you. kc8pcl
Old November 2nd, 2019, 4:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kc8pcl
Hello all,
I have a 2011 equinox that is sounding a bell like when you turn off your engine and open the door to let you know that the key is in the ignition, even when i take the key out it still chimes, and none of the fobs will do anything so I have to leave the car unlocked. has this ever happened to anyone here ? Sure could use some help here, Thank you. kc8pcl
Could be a bad seat belt sensor or occupant seat sensor setting this ringing off..
Old November 2nd, 2019, 6:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Could be a bad seat belt sensor or occupant seat sensor setting this ringing off..
I had a similar problem with an older 2007 Equinox. Yours uses a different switch, but probably operates in the same manner. I had to replace the ignition switch.

There was a fuse that I was able to remove temporarily as a workaround. You will lose all warnings associated with having the key in the ignition, but at least you'll be able to lock your doors. You may be able to do the same, but you'll need to look at your owner's manual to see if your Equinox has an ignition switch fuse with a really low amperage rating. On our Equinox it was a 2A fuse.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Smile Equinox door adjar

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Thanks for the reply, I will check that out
Old November 3rd, 2019, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for that information, I will check that out.