Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Equinox overheating again

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2017, 1:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equinox overheating again

I own a 2006 chevy equinox. A few months ago I blew out the cooling system, basically had a busted head gasket, car overheated on the freeway and turned my coolant to red goop and ruined hoses, gaskets and had to have intake manifolds and everything cleaned out.

Now the only thing we did not touch or replace that has coolant flowing threw it is the heater core. I have a brand new radiator, thermostat and everything else basically.

My overheating problem went away for the last couple months but has come up again. Only when idling for short periods of time then the fan kicks on (which didn't happen before) and the car cools off. I ALSO have my heater running allllll the time. Even when turned off the heater is still running, I've had to close all the vents in my car.

Does anyone have any advice before I just run off and have my heater core changed??
Old June 10th, 2017, 9:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

so the cooling fans kick on and the vehicle cools down...sounds like normal operation...the question is how hot is the coolant getting? does your dash display it or do you have a scan tool

are all the fan shrouds in place?

Is the problem your describing heat coming into the passenger compartment...and you can't change the temp with the temp ****? If yes, you temp blend door is broken. It doesn't need a heater core but a new blend door...there is a special coverage for 2006 models that the dealer may cover this repair.

Last edited by tech2; June 10th, 2017 at 9:54 AM.
Old June 10th, 2017, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

I guess I should say my car is overheating at an alarming rate. While sitting at a red light I will watch the temperature rise.
I can run the A/C in my car completely fine but keep everything turned off anyways. It feels like I have constant hot air blowing into my car as if the heater is always running even though it is turned off. It could be just the hot air from my engine coming in, I didn't think of that.

Also should mention I have water in my car, not coolant, just because we left water in it invade the overheating problem didn't go away and wrecked my system again with goopy coolant.
Old June 10th, 2017, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

This is what I see on a daily basis. A diagram of my temperature gauge. Car will get hot fast at red lights, drive through a it will hit the red line 3 times, traffic I try to avoid. It goes up fast.<br/><br/>When my car crashed on me a few months ago it was having a similar problem but the fans were not turning on. Now that we have replaced everything coolant touches (except the heater core) the fans do turn on, but the car has started overheating again. Instead of maintaining a normal temperature
Old June 10th, 2017, 10:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Based on what you've said so far, it appears that you are observing normal operation of the cooling system. I wouldn't be the least bit worried unless the needle on the temp gauge goes past the second last line or about the 3/4 mark. Also, get a 50/50 mix of coolant in there ASAP. Coolant raises the boiling point and lubricates the water pump.