Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

exhaust collector flange stud stripped

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust collector flange stud stripped

well, i sprayed on some liquid wrench, and grabbed the impact wrench and teh torque wrench, and i managed to get the nuts off, but one of them gave me real problems because of rust im guessing.

I had to torch the stud red hot because the threads were being cleaned off by the nut on the last 1/4 inch of the stud. Finally with the heat and impact i got it off. The thread is now toast.

I tried heating it again to get it out, but i cant hammer it out.

Any suggestions on getting it out?

Im talking about the 3 studs at the flange that joins the muffler (catylytic?) pipe to the manifold pipe at the center of the car under the front seat area, as related to the procedure for rear exhaust system removal, etc..

If i cant get it out i will try cutting off the last 1/4inch, and grinding the edge of the first thread, and getting a new nut, to see if i can grab some fresh threads, if not, i will drill it out and put a bolt in there.

Last edited by wolfdogg; September 16th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old September 16th, 2012, 1:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You need to heat around it, not the stud. If it won't come out, cut it off flush, and drill it out. Or drill a hole in it for a good sized ez-out.