Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

How to bypass the amp for just the subwoofer on a 2005 chevy equinox.

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2018, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to bypass the amp for just the subwoofer on a 2005 chevy equinox.

My amp blew a few weeks ago and am in a bit of a predicament. I bought a 4 channel amp to replace it, but have since found out that I actually need a 5 channel amp, because of this, I need to learn how to bypass just the subwoofer. If this is even possible. Hopefully it is because if I don't get a response overnight, I will be following how to do an amp bypass, but for just the subwoofer.
Old September 9th, 2018, 7:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AshleyT@
My amp blew a few weeks ago and am in a bit of a predicament. I bought a 4 channel amp to replace it, but have since found out that I actually need a 5 channel amp, because of this, I need to learn how to bypass just the subwoofer. If this is even possible. Hopefully it is because if I don't get a response overnight, I will be following how to do an amp bypass, but for just the subwoofer.
Bypassing the factory subwoofer is easy. Just leave it disconnected.

if at all possible, I would return the 4-channel amp and get a 5-channel amp. You will definitely miss the factory subwoofer if you care even the least bit about audio quality. An aftermarket amp will need far more power then the factory amp, so be sure to run new appropriately sized power wire from the battery.

I have linked another thread below that you may find helpful.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...-bypass-49179/
Old September 9th, 2018, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. In all reality, I have a big trip coming up and I need music in the car again stat. It would take over 3 weeks to get the 5 channel amp. So I am willing to bypass the subwoofer because as long as the lyrics and some of the music is there, I am happy.
Old September 9th, 2018, 4:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AshleyT@
Thank you. In all reality, I have a big trip coming up and I need music in the car again stat. It would take over 3 weeks to get the 5 channel amp. So I am willing to bypass the subwoofer because as long as the lyrics and some of the music is there, I am happy.
I was just thinking about this. If you're content with just the speakers, you really don't even need another amplifier. The factory radio does have an 4-channel amp built into it that works quite well. It's just not used in vehicles equipped with the premium audio option. You could just use that in the meantime. All that is necessary to do this is to disconnect both plugs from the factory amp, and jumper the inputs to the outputs in the large plug. This will get you some tunes in the meantime without the hassle of installing another amp, and you could hold out for the 5-channel amp

Again, don't cut any wires. Just use short pieces of small wire to jumper the correct terminals together at the plug. You might even be able to use the small colored paper clips as jumpers. The coating used for the colored part would be sufficient insulation to prevent short circuits. You'd just need to strip off about 1/4" off each end.

I've linked the wiring diagram directly below to help you out. The inputs at the amp are mislabled as outputs, but just jumper the 8 speaker terminals together with matching description and this should work.

2005_Equinox_Premium_Sound.pdf

If you're not good at reading wiring diagrams, I'll make it easy for you. The terminals on the large plug are labeled A1-A12 and B1-12.

The terminals you need to jumper are as follows:

A1 > A9
A2 > A10
A3 > A11
A4 > A12

B1 > B9
B2 > B10
B3 > B11
B4 > B12

Last edited by ruley73; September 10th, 2018 at 12:25 PM.