Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

How do I disable to the start-stop system

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2023, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do I disable to the start-stop system

My 2020 equinox has auto stop/start and I would like to permanently disable it. I know about the L and pushing the + button 5 times. I have seen on you tube a wiring harness called the eliminator. Would like to know more about it before thinking about getting one. Also harness called smart stop/start override module. Would like info on this one too. Any info would be appreciated.

I also saw on you tube a video on servicing the transmission on my 1.5L turbo. It showed a filler cap on top of the transmission. I don't see the filler cap on my transmission. Do I have one and if so where is it?
Thanks again! Bill

2020 Equinox 1.5L turbo
Old June 20th, 2023, 12:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by NOXbill
My 2020 equinox has auto stop/start and I would like to permanently disable it. I know about the L and pushing the + button 5 times. I have seen on you tube a wiring harness called the eliminator. Would like to know more about it before thinking about getting one. Also harness called smart stop/start override module. Would like info on this one too. Any info would be appreciated.

I also saw on you tube a video on servicing the transmission on my 1.5L turbo. It showed a filler cap on top of the transmission. I don't see the filler cap on my transmission. Do I have one and if so where is it?
Thanks again! Bill

2020 Equinox 1.5L turbo
Back in the day, you would fill the transmission through the dipstick tube. These days you fill it through the vent cap, it will be red or black. You drain as much of the hot transmission fluid as you can at the plug on the bottom of the transmission. Depending on the model of transmission, it will take 4.5 to 5.5 quarts of Dexron VI fluid.

You'll likely need to buy a long funnel to refill it through the vent hole. The sight plug is usually an 11 or 12-mm plug on the driver's side. Turn your wheels all the way to the right or remove the wheel to access the plug easier.

Once it starts to flow out with new fluid, just cap it off with the plug. I think you have the 6T40 transmission, the same as my Malibu, so 4.5 quarts of Dex VI will be needed. The filter is way up in the transmission and not replaceable without breaking the transmission apart meaning a transmission overhaul. There is no such thing as non-replacement transmission "permanent" fluids, no matter what.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 20th, 2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old June 20th, 2023, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info Henry. Could you give me a location for the vent/filler hole.
Don't know which transmission I have and don't know where to find the info. I have looked everywhere I know for it'
thanks bill

Last edited by NOXbill; June 20th, 2023 at 5:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (June 20th, 2023)
Old June 20th, 2023, 7:01 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks for the info Henry. Could you give me a location for the vent/filler hole.
Don't know which transmission I have and don't know where to find the info. I have looked everywhere I know for it'
thanks bill
Bill, If it's built close to my 2015 Malibu, the vent will be on the driver's side right on top of the transmission. It's way down there so you'll need one of those long black funnels to add the Dexron VI fluid back in. You just unscrew it by hand. I looked up your transmission and it should be a 6T40 like mine. I know it's a PITA but all the new cars, Chevy or not, seem to have eliminated transmission oil dipsticks on all but pickup trucks.
Old June 20th, 2023, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

I must have a different transmission. All I can find on top of the trans is the arm for the shifter to hook to and a decal. I'll keep looking.
bill
Old June 20th, 2023, 9:51 PM
CF Monarch

I must have a different transmission. All I can find on top of the trans is the arm for the shifter to hook to and a decal. I'll keep looking.
bill
I found two places. Both said it has the 6T40 transmission. I'll do some more research, Bill.
Old June 20th, 2023, 11:39 PM
CF Monarch

This Youtube video might help you, Bill:

Old June 21st, 2023, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the video. I don't have a filler cap where the videos show. The linked youtube video title says for a 6T40 but the narrative by the guy says 6T70. Maybe I have a 6T70. Could someone tell me how to find out?

Old June 21st, 2023, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

for 2020 model year nox...6t40 is the only trans for the 1.5
The following 2 users liked this post by tech2:
oilcanhenry (June 22nd, 2023), ruley73 (June 23rd, 2023)
Old June 23rd, 2023, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

I watched the video and am sure my trans. does not have a vent/filler cap on top.
I will take a picture tomorrow and try to post it. Anyone know the max size for an image attachment?