Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

I need help with wiring.

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2015, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with wiring.

I had to remove the drivers side headlight assembly on a 2010 Equinox LT to install an aftermarket unit. In the process I cut the wiring to the plugs on the wiring harness. I need to find out which wires go together when I install the new plugs being that the wires on both sides are different colors. Does anyone know which wires connect to which on the plugs?
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mini.me716
I had to remove the drivers side headlight assembly on a 2010 Equinox LT to install an aftermarket unit. In the process I cut the wiring to the plugs on the wiring harness. I need to find out which wires go together when I install the new plugs being that the wires on both sides are different colors. Does anyone know which wires connect to which on the plugs?
I can't help but ask the obvious question: why did you cut the wires if you didn't know how to reconnect them?. It helps if we know exactly which plug you cut and what exact "aftermarket unit" you are installing.
Old October 14th, 2015, 8:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

how far back did you cut

there should be 3 wires to the headlamp. grd , low beam and high beam...probe the wires with a test light to id the wires.
Old October 14th, 2015, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
I can't help but ask the obvious question: why did you cut the wires if you didn't know how to reconnect them?. It helps if we know exactly which plug you cut and what exact "aftermarket unit" you are installing.
I wanted to install a better wire harness because the original one looked corroded. The plug I cut is not the bulb plug, it's the plug that connects to the headlight unit. Because the wiring on either side of the plugs are different colors I just wanted to make sure I have the right wires connected to each other.
Old October 14th, 2015, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
how far back did you cut

there should be 3 wires to the headlamp. grd , low beam and high beam...probe the wires with a test light to id the wires.
I need the wiring to the headlight harness on the male and female sides of the plug not the bulb wires.
Old October 14th, 2015, 10:23 AM
CF Pro Member

You should be able to see what terminal each wire goes to on the plug you cut off and use that as a guide for how to connect the new plug.
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
You should be able to see what terminal each wire goes to on the plug you cut off and use that as a guide for how to connect the new plug.
I would do that but my kid threw out the old plugs while cleaning the work area. So I have no type of guide as to what wire goes where.
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by mini.me716
I would do that but my kid threw out the old plugs while cleaning the work area. So I have no type of guide as to what wire goes where.
Ouch! That would certainly throw a wrench in the gears. I should be able to fetch the wiring diagram you need after I get off work today.
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks a million. Any help with this is gonna be worth a million bucks!!!
Old October 14th, 2015, 3:21 PM
CF Pro Member

These should have what you need.

2010_Equinox_headlamp_wiring.pdf
2010_Equinox_exterior_lamps_wiring.pdf