Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Lost... Never Ending Problem, any input?

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2014, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost... Never Ending Problem, any input?

Hey all, seeking some help as my girlfriend's equinox has me stumped with a typical over-heating problem. Let's start from the beginning.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox, 160,000kms (not miles). 2 owners and well-maintained. We bought it with just over 120,000km on it and since then have had problems off and on. When we went to look at it before purchasing, the heat would not work. The seller took it in to Canadian tire the following day and had it certified and e-tested, stating it was just a bad thermostat. Considering being now certified, I thought nothing of it and we bought it.

Soon later the problems started. It started running hot off and on, and eventually over-heated a couple of times under normal driving conditions. Was also using a lot of coolant, not visibly leaking anywhere out of the vehicle or onto the floor inside (heater core), she was topping up the empty reservoir about every 500km. We took it into a local mechanic (I'm very mechanically inclined, just had no time to even look at it during this time). He diagnosed bad head gaskets just as I thought. He replaced the head gaskets and while he was at it did the thermostat again anyways.

Not even a year later, the same problem started up again. Assuming and hoping the head gaskets couldn't have went bad that fast, started tracking it down. We replaced the thermostat again just to rule it out, also put on a brand new water pump. Found out the heater core had went bad so we temporarly bypassed it to rule that out also. The bloody thing is still heating up and almost over-heating (she has had to shut it down in intersections to avoid it over-heating and causing head damage). Also will ad that the heads were sent to the machine shop to be checked and decked as they were slightly warped during the head gasket swap.

So as it stands right now:
Headgaskets/heads done about 25,000km ago
Brand new water pump
Brand new thermostat
Heater core bypassed

Shes not driving it currently however when we bleed the system with the bleed screw it's fine for about a day, then same problem. Like its continuously getting air. **By the way, it is no longer using coolant**.

The only thing I can think of next, is replacing the radiator as it may be swollen from the over-heating and not allowing flow or plugged from previous owners possibly putting non dex-cool in.

Also aware about the heater blend door which is bs and should be a gm re-call along with these head gaskets!!

ANY help or advise is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Try replacing the coolant lid. It may not be holding pressure which will allow the coolant to boil at a lower temperature. This can cause coolant to boil out of the reservoir and also cause the engine to overheat. The reservoir has an overflow hose which allows the coolant boil out when pressure is exceeded.

You should also make sure that the cooling fans are turning on. If you are unsure, turn on the A/C and the fans should turn on.

Finally, make sure the correct water pump is installed. Some shops incorrectly install the same water pump as all the other Chevy 60° V6 engines (2.8L/3.1L/3.4L/3100/3400). It's not entirely their fault either because some of the aftermarket water pump manufacturers actually incorrectly specify the older pump design for the Equinox/Torrent 3400. Both water pumps will bolt onto the engine fine, but the correct one (GM part number 19179031 or AC Delco p/n 271-700 - see picure below) has an improved impeller design that pumps more coolant per revolution.

Lost... Never Ending Problem, any input?-equinox_torrent_3400_water_pump.jpg
Old July 14th, 2014, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, i will try replacing the reservoir cap, it always did even feel a little weird screwing off and on, maybe a culprit.

The cooling fans kick on fine and when it is getting hot and we shut it down, the fans will run and eventually cool it down to operating temp but while running, the fans can't keep up and it will overheat.

As for the water pump, the girlfriends dad's replaced it while i was at work so i'd have to ask him the part number. However, the old water pump that came off was actually fine...
Old July 14th, 2014, 1:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.google.com/search?q=2006+...ntly+overheats

over 700 comments at the topix.com page. A lot of people have gone down your path.