Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Need help !!!

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2015, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help !!!

05 Equinox LS in great shape, except I have a problem with the AC !!
Took it to 5-different ac shops and all said the compressor was bad. Took it to one more shop they changed out the ac relay in the fuse box under the hood and the ac worked for 4-days (blowing cold and working like normal).
The correct amount of freon is in the system.
Today the compressor stop working again. I'm like what the heck !!
I replaced the relay and nothing !! However I can hear and feel the relay making a clicking sound when the ac is turned on while I'm inserting it or removing it !!
Please help as it's getting hot here in TX.
Thanks in advance !!
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Does it only blow warm or less cool air at idle? If so, the scroll valve is bad. You can replace just the valve, but it would require the refrigerant to be evacuated and refilled.

It could be a bad compressor clutch too.
Old May 5th, 2015, 6:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
Does it only blow warm or less cool air at idle? If so, the scroll valve is bad. You can replace just the valve, but it would require the refrigerant to be evacuated and refilled.

It could be a bad compressor clutch too.
ruley73,
Thanks for your reply. Yep, it used to blow warm or less cool air at idle. I had the scroll valve replaced in the summer of 2013 and all worked fine until late summer of 2014 and that's when the compressor stopped working.
I still would like to know if I can feel and hear the relay clicking, does that mean the relay is trying to do it's job or it it something to do with a wire in the fuse box etc ?
If it's the compressor clutch, how do I test it to make sure that's what the problem is ?
Like I said before most shops (small mom and pop shops) are saying it's the compressor. I have doubts about the compressor being bad as it did work and blow cold air for 4-days last week.
Thanks again for any info......