Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

No accelleration problem

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2021, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No accelleration problem

2005 Equinox, 141,000 miles

wasn't sure how to list this one, but here goes:

i bought a 2005 Equinox about a month ago from a local dealership. i drove it around for a while, put about 200 miles on it with no problems. (the only thing that i noticed was that sometimes it wouldn't turn over without applying a little gas.)
the Check Engine light flashed on briefly one day, but it cleared and i put it off until i could get back to the dealership and have them run the code.
the other day, i was driving on the freeway in the rain at about 40mph. the car just shut off, like i turned off the key. lost all power. a few warning lights popped up--
1. "Check Engine" 2. "Traction Control System" and 3. "Reduced Engine Power." (pic attached)
i had no acceleration, no gas at all, just a slow creep at about one mile an hour.
i pulled off to the side of the road, and waited for a few minutes. started her up, it let me drive for less than a mile before it cut out again. this time the no acceleration persisted; no further start-ups allowed me to move at more than a snail's pace.
towed it to the dealership, and after the two hours it took to get there it still wouldn't go, same lights, same everything.
i know the Reduced Engine Power is supposed to let you move at about 35mph, but in that mode mine wouldn't even accelerate. it started up just fine, but you can stomp on the gas and the engine wouldn't even rev.
the dealership is running through it trying to figure it out, but i'd dropped it off on a friday evening and they didn't get to it until monday morning, by which time it acted fine. the guy there has been driving it home to test it, 100 miles a day, and he says that it works great.
the dealership came up with several codes, i'll list them here later if nothing sounds familiar to anyone, but nothing seems to be likely as the culprit.
any solutions/tips/clues?

thanks.

Last edited by matthewbellah; June 16th, 2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old June 17th, 2021, 1:23 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Can you post any OBD II codes for us?
Old June 17th, 2021, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Can you post any OBD II codes for us?
sure, here they are:

P1791: Control Module Harness Open/Shorted--Poor Connection
P0700: General Fault Communication w/ TCM
P1125: Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Fault
P2125: Switch E Circuit Throttle Pedal Position Sensor
P2138: ECM Has Detected A Malfunction With D And/Or E Circuit Of The Throttle Position Sensor
Old June 18th, 2021, 8:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewbellah
sure, here they are:

P1791: Control Module Harness Open/Shorted--Poor Connection
P0700: General Fault Communication w/ TCM
P1125: Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Fault
P2125: Switch E Circuit Throttle Pedal Position Sensor
P2138: ECM Has Detected A Malfunction With D And/Or E Circuit Of The Throttle Position Sensor
Those are all powertrain codes. At the least, it looks like your Throttle Position Sensor is bad or not receiving the proper ECM signals.
Old June 19th, 2021, 12:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Those are all powertrain codes. At the least, it looks like your Throttle Position Sensor is bad or not receiving the proper ECM signals.
thanks, that's what they said they are looking to replace. i think they just saw the Throttle Position Sensor as being the most recurring fault in the codes, and decided to replace it. i'm glad to hear that you think this would be working in the right direction. the powertrain information is good to have as well.
thank you very much for this assistance.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (June 19th, 2021)