Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

overheating problems....dealer cnat find solution

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating problems....dealer cnat find solution

i have a heating problem with my 2005 equinox ls v6 14000 miles,the first time overheated i noticed the radiator had a leak so i replaced it with a new one,but since i did it myself i forgot to put the upper hose back in and run the car for a whole day without experiencing any problems,but then of course it overhated again,after i put the hose back in,it kept on overheating after around 5 minutes of driving,at first the car runs with apparently no problems,but after the 15 minutes it overhetas,i took the car to the dealer and they started doing tests,first a leak test,no leaks,second the thermostat,no problems with it,then they took the radiator off and reinstalled it to check for a ny installation problems,they test drived it and gave it back yestarday with apparently everything ok,but i ran the car today and after 15 minutes driving it,it overheated again,i already checked the oil and the radiator fluid and there is no presence of water in the engine nor oil in the radiator,the dealer said the engine is ok as well,and it has not lost any power nor compretion,it actually runs great before it overheats,i really dont know what to do...my guess is that there is air in the cooling system or i have a busted water pump,by the way the raiator itself is not rising its temperature at all,and just for you to know,the fans are working correct in both speed gears,its really confusing to drive the car for 15 or 20 miles without experiencing any problems and then all of a sudden have overheating problem.by the way,before it overheats,it reaches its normal temperature,the fans start towork as normal,they lower the temperature a couple of times but then as i told you it overheats again.thanks for your time and your help. Ricky Rossell
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: overheating problems....dealer cnat find solution

If the rad is not showing any temperature changes then there is a circulation problem.
There could be an air lock or the water pump or the thermostat.
One of the first and least expensive things to check is the rad cap and/or the neck of the fill port on the rad. Lightly sand the filler neck so it's shinny. If that doesn't do it try a new rad cap.
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

thanks golfer,just checked the rad cap and the neck of the fill port,even replaced the cap,still overheating.....how di i find out if i have an air lock and how do get rid of it??
Old October 27th, 2007, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Mine had the same problem, it was under warrenty at the time,I was driving to TN from FLand noticed the temp guage a little high and the coolant looked messed up so brought it into a chevy dealership, they replaced all the hoses in the cooling system and replaced the coolant, I want tosay theydid something else to but I cant remember