Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

P0405 EGR Code - replaced egr and still shows

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2021, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0405 EGR Code - replaced egr and still shows

Got a p0405 code along with traction control and stabilitrak codes. Bought a new EGR and replaced it. Used my obd2 scanner to reset the codes and they immediately come back when starting the car. Tried pulling fuse 33 for a minute as I read in another thread that will do the "learning/reset" for a new egr. That worked for about 20 miles and code is back again

Interesting problem with my orange wire that is supposed to be 12v. If I test it with key on and unplugged it's reads 12v. If I do nothing but plug it into egr it drops to 15mv. Grey wire seems to have good ground using meter. Wire B (tan) and D (grey) have 4.99 volts measured across them so they seem to be working. Middle brown wire has no output most likely because the orange wire loses all voltage when plugged in. Bad EGR or where should I look next?
Old July 18th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

try a positive battery disconnect. reconnect after 10 minutes and clear any dtc.
Old July 18th, 2021, 9:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Za2ch2
Got a p0405 code along with traction control and stabilitrak codes. Bought a new EGR and replaced it. Used my obd2 scanner to reset the codes and they immediately come back when starting the car. Tried pulling fuse 33 for a minute as I read in another thread that will do the "learning/reset" for a new egr. That worked for about 20 miles and code is back again

Interesting problem with my orange wire that is supposed to be 12v. If I test it with key on and unplugged it's reads 12v. If I do nothing but plug it into egr it drops to 15mv. Grey wire seems to have good ground using meter. Wire B (tan) and D (grey) have 4.99 volts measured across them so they seem to be working. Middle brown wire has no output most likely because the orange wire loses all voltage when plugged in. Bad EGR or where should I look next?
What year and engine?
Old July 21st, 2021, 1:02 AM
CF Beginner

Disconnecting the battery doesn't change anything. Its a 2007 Equinox LT with the 3.4L
Old July 21st, 2021, 5:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Za2ch2
Disconnecting the battery doesn't change anything. Its a 2007 Equinox LT with the 3.4L
The loss of 12V on the orange wire after plugging in the connector seems normal to me. The PCM sends 12V out to pin E (orange) OR pin A (gray) only when needed to move the pintle. Which pin is 12V and which is ground depends on if the PCM wants to open or close the pintle. The polarity between those two pins is reversed to move the pintle the opposite direction.

The pintle circuit (pins E and A) is separate from the pintle position circuit (pins B, C, and D).

You most likely have a bad EGR valve or short to ground on pin C (brown). The former seems more likely, but I'd rule out the latter first. Do this by disconnecting both the EGR valve connector and the C2 connector going to the ECM. Then, measure resistance between ground and either pin C at the EGR valve or pin 55 at the ECM C2 connector. It wouldn't hurt to also check pin B (tan wire at EGR valve connector)/pin 54 (ECM C2 connector) for a short to ground. If you see any measurable resistance, you have to find the short. If you see an open circuit on your voltmeter when testing, the wiring is good and the EGR valve is bad.
The following users liked this post:
tech2 (July 21st, 2021)
Old August 23rd, 2021, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

With both the EGR and C2 unplugged, I get infinite resistance to ground on pin C/pin55 (grey wire). Pin B/pin54 (tan wire) shows the same thing. This is by poking the wires going into the back of the c2 connector. Interestingly though if I use a paperclip in the front of the C2 connector, it shows high resistance (1.4M and 2.6M ohms) to ground on both wires. Not sure why that would happen?

What should the resistance be between pin A and E on the EGR itself? I'm getting a reading of ~6 ohms. Possibly got a bad EGR right out of the box?

Last edited by Za2ch2; August 23rd, 2021 at 12:47 PM.