Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2000 Lumina DTC P0403 Question..

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2014, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Lumina DTC P0403 Question..

Whats up guys, My name is Phil and Im new here. Have a question about a EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction Fault code which is P0403. So I have had the engine light on for a while, I checked it way back and seen it came up a EGR code along with a TPS "Throttle Position Sensor" Code. Car was and still is running fine but I decided to do the repairs because Im sick of looking at the light and emissions will need to be done soon. Anyways, I replaced the TPS sensor and that code is now gone. Only code that remained was the P0403, Now my car has 158K miles on it and I just decided to toss a new EGR Valve on. Did that and the light stayed on, So instead of doing drive cycles with a chance it may go off or stay on I took the car to the local auto store to use their scanner to clear the code since I don't have a scanner anymore. As soon as I got to the end of the parking lot the light came back on. So I went home and pulled the TB off and cleaned out the EGR port that was clogged solid with carbon and seafoamed the motor just to do it. Light was still on, So I turned the key to Aux and pulled the PCM/BAP 20A fuse and put it back in. Boom light went off and I drove around for a good 30 mins with it not returning. As soon as I pulled in my garage I shut the car down for 15mins and started it back up and the light returned no more then 5 mins of running. What can I be over looking here? I checked all the wires that plug into the EGR and they seem fine, I checked the EGR to make sure the Pintle was working using a 9v battery and that was fine. Does the 3100 with a electronic EGR also have a EGR Vacuum Solenoid or can there be something else that is throwing off the circuit to give me this code. I'm dumb founded here and its pissing me off. Any input would be awesome and Im sorry for the long write up. Just wanted to cover everything

Thanks, Phil

Last edited by Breze84; January 4th, 2014 at 7:58 PM.
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the pcm has detected a problem on the power and grd circuit that control movement of the egr pintle.

the problem can only be the egr valve, wiring or pcm. you have ruled out the egr valve.

Complete testing involves the use of a scan tool that can bi-directionally control the egr valve. Since you don't have that, all you can do is check the wiring from the egr to the pcm.

disconnect the egr and pcm connectors. check the red wire at the egr valve to the pcm connector c2 pin4 for continuity. Then check the gry/blk wire at the egr to the pcm c2 pin 32.
if they both have 0ohms resistance you probably need a pcm. If they have high resistance or are open, repair the wires.
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the pcm has detected a problem on the power and grd circuit that control movement of the egr pintle.

the problem can only be the egr valve, wiring or pcm. you have ruled out the egr valve.

Complete testing involves the use of a scan tool that can bi-directionally control the egr valve. Since you don't have that, all you can do is check the wiring from the egr to the pcm.

disconnect the egr and pcm connectors. check the red wire at the egr valve to the pcm connector c2 pin4 for continuity. Then check the gry/blk wire at the egr to the pcm c2 pin 32.
if they both have 0ohms resistance you probably need a pcm. If they have high resistance or are open, repair the wires.

Thanks man, I haven't done a Continuity test but I did use a test light and probed the wires on the EGR just to make sure they were getting juice. The outside grey/black striped wire "Ground" and the other outside Red wire "Power" had juice in AUX. The 3 center wires didn't have juice until the vehicle was running from what I can remember and at that point all the wires had juice. Now as far as how many volts or ohms they were putting out I have no idea... I just probed the wires with a test light... I will check for resistance.
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2

In your opinion... Just a thought here but It could be nothing. The Grey/Black wire has the rubber coating off a bit and 2 or 3 strands are torn in the wire about a inch from the plug. You think that would be enough to throw a fault??
Old January 5th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

yes, its possible.