Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

P0411

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2021, 3:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0411

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox 4 cylinders LT, I bought it a while ago. I bought it even though it had the check engine light on, it I didn't care about it. Then, I realized that if the check engine was on it wouldn't remote start. I checked the code and it was a p0411 By definition, the code is letting you know that the ECM has detected incorrect flow in the secondary air injection system. So, I changed the pump but the Check engine came back on. So I took it to the dealer and they told me that the engine that it has is the the correct, meaning that the one it has doesn't have the port where the valve for the air pump is suppose to go. Now I don't know what to do, because the engine is working fine and I don't want to change it. Any ideas of how to erase that code permanently?
Old January 7th, 2021, 7:43 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson J Castillo
I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox 4 cylinders LT, I bought it a while ago. I bought it even though it had the check engine light on, it I didn't care about it. Then, I realized that if the check engine was on it wouldn't remote start. I checked the code and it was a p0411 By definition, the code is letting you know that the ECM has detected incorrect flow in the secondary air injection system. So, I changed the pump but the Check engine came back on. So I took it to the dealer and they told me that the engine that it has is the the correct, meaning that the one it has doesn't have the port where the valve for the air pump is suppose to go. Now I don't know what to do, because the engine is working fine and I don't want to change it. Any ideas of how to erase that code permanently?
Might have to clean the AIR injection system out by hand, as it might have build-up of carbon. Personally I wouldn't touch a vehicle with it, having had too many issues with them years ago. Here is what I found about code 411:

P0411 CHEVROLET Possible Causes

What does this mean?
  • Vacuum hoses damaged or pinched
  • Faulty Air Pump inoperative
  • Faulty Air Pump harness is open or shorted
  • Faulty Air Pump circuit poor electrical connection
Old January 7th, 2021, 9:12 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Might have to clean the AIR injection system out by hand, as it might have build-up of carbon. Personally I wouldn't touch a vehicle with it, having had too many issues with them years ago. Here is what I found about code 411:

P0411 CHEVROLET Possible Causes

What does this mean?
  • Vacuum hoses damaged or pinched
  • Faulty Air Pump inoperative
  • Faulty Air Pump harness is open or shorted
  • Faulty Air Pump circuit poor electrical connection
It sounds like the OP is saying that the previous owner installed a non-AIR/SMOG engine. This means it doesn't have the ports on the exhaust side of the cylinder head necessary for the AIR system to function which is causing the P0411 code. The only solution is to install a cylinder head that has the AIR holes in it. These are only used on vehicles equipped with California Emissions (RPO code NU6).
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (January 8th, 2021)
Old January 8th, 2021, 10:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
It sounds like the OP is saying that the previous owner installed a non-AIR/SMOG engine. This means it doesn't have the ports on the exhaust side of the cylinder head necessary for the AIR system to function which is causing the P0411 code. The only solution is to install a cylinder head that has the AIR holes in it. These are only used on vehicles equipped with California Emissions (RPO code NU6).
You may well be correct, ruley73, but I was under the impression that the newer GM A.I.R. injection systems were driven by an electric pump that injected the AIR right before the catalytic converter(s), not the heads or exhaust manifolds, which didn't exist until 1975.

The old 1960's/1970's A.I.R. General Motors A.I.R.pump systems that used a fan-belt run pump and did indeed inject the AIR directly into the exhaust manifolds, not into the heads. I must admit I haven't paid much attention to any A.I.R. injection systems, I'd never purchase any vehicle equipped with the AIR injection system, and don't understand why they are still used since most engines these days don't use them anymore.