Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Please Advise -- Sqealing Engine

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2007, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Advise -- Sqealing Engine

I'm hoping someone can advise me before I take my 2005 Equinox to the dealer. Back in January my engine started to sqeal off and on and there was no pattern to it. It even stopped sqealingfor a few months. Now that the weather has warmed it sqeals all the time. Once you reach about 40 MPH it starts and when the brakes are appliedstrongly it stops. It doesn't seem to be related to the speed after it starts -- if you apply the brakes strongly it will stop. Has anyone had this problem or can you offer any advice? I have a small child and I have to travel quite a distance with her this weekend. I don't want to risk being stranded. Suggestions?
Old May 14th, 2007, 7:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: Please Advise -- Sqealing Engine

It's unclear if the " squealing " noise you're hearing happens when the engine is running and with the vehicle not moving.

In your description you seem to indicate the noise is present while the vehicle is moving then disappears when the brakes are applied. If this is the only time this happens you might have the frontbrakes checked. They may be worn down to the wear indicators.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im guessing 2 things one is very common here in Northern British Columbia, and the reason GM dont use rear disc brakes on trucks, check to see if you havea rock in your brakes...this will cause an ungodly squeal noise at various speeds depending on the size of the rock, and will stop when brakes are applied as pressure will alleviate the squeal the bad thing is when you apply brakes if it is a rock you will wear a grove in your rotors, and need new ones..

the other Fan belt.....slipping because its looseor got some **** on it and it is slipping just because...this will cause a squeal as well, but wont ususlly stop when brakes are applied, but will stop when you take you foot off the gas.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how did you make out...just curious
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you took it in to your dealer. Lets us know what happened.
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Sqealing Engine -- PROBLEM SOLVED!

After two trips to the dealer the problem has been fixed. It turned out to be a weak carrier bearing. They replaced it (under warranty!!!) and the squealing is gone!!! One of the guys there told me this was the second time they had seen this problem with an all wheel drive Equinox.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!
Old July 11th, 2007, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

I'm sure by now you have brought it in but that is how mine started before I took to Dealer and found out it was the engine and somehow they don't know why it threw a rod???? Hope you have better luck and maybe it isn't that bad.