Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Roaring noise in cabin

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2013, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Roaring noise in cabin

I bought a 2013 Equinox LTZ .I have never driven a car or truck that was so nosy it seems to be road noise ,the dealer thought maybe rotating the tires would help. it did not. next they said maybe if I had it under coated that would help so I had them under coat it ,that did not help. the dealer say they have no idea why it is noisy but they can not fix it if they don't know what to fix. chevolet.com said the dealer is there eyes& ears and they can not help if the dealer don't tell them what's wrong ,so it'd like they just left me standing in the rain with no help. like I am supposed to find the problem and then tell them how to fix it .other wise this is really a nice vehicle to drive I love it except for the noise .I thought may be my ears were to sensitive so I bought a Decibel meter well going down the road at 60 mph I get a reading of 85-106 db that is enough to destroy your ears.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:02 PM
CF Junior Member

It has to be the tires. Are they Michelins? I think it should be if its an LTZ. Never heard of those tires having problems though but it has to be tires causing excessive road noise. As long as you have good wheel bearings of course.
Old November 5th, 2013, 7:59 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

flint_hill4134
Welcome to the forum... I too would suspect tires, it would be up to the dealer to swap them out with another brand. Has the tech or service writer ridden in the vehicle with you to help identify the sound?
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

I have seen excessive noise when the door windows do not seal properly when they are closed. Just a thought. Something else to check.
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

The dealer took the tires and wheels off another Equinox that had 18"wheels and it did not help change the noise at all,mine has 17"tires on it.I keep hearing about this tester tool MTS 4100 NVH Analyzer that is supposed to be able to tell where any viberation or noise is coming from but my dealer has never heard of such a tool.
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

I am thinking of taking the suv to one of those radio installion shops and having them isulate the complete inside of the body ,side Chevolet will do nothing . Chev. dealer did say he would but the suv back from me,but he said I would lose $8200 on a trade .sure make Honda and other imports look good.
Old November 5th, 2013, 2:18 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you spoken to Chevrolet Customer Service via this forum on your issue?
Have you driven another vehicle of the same type and model level to see if you also hear it there?

Last edited by in2pro; November 5th, 2013 at 4:31 PM. Reason: speeling
Old November 5th, 2013, 3:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flint_hill4134
The dealer took the tires and wheels off another Equinox that had 18"wheels and it did not help change the noise at all,mine has 17"tires on it.I keep hearing about this tester tool MTS 4100 NVH Analyzer that is supposed to be able to tell where any viberation or noise is coming from but my dealer has never heard of such a tool.
Hi flint_hill4134,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention and we're sorry that your dealership hasn't been able to resolve this issue for you. If you'd like for us to reach out to them in regard to this situation we will gladly do so. If you'd like our assistance please PM us your VIN, mileage, contact info and the name of the dealership you've been working with?

Thank you

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 5th, 2013, 7:15 PM
CF Junior Member

If they swapped tires and it did not help at all it has to be in the drivetrain or hubs. There is a noise, vibration analyzer that is suppose to be used to help diagnose. It measures the hertz of the tone produced by your vehicle. Then there is a reference guide to help pinpoint possible areas of concern that can produce that can of noise. I would not advise taking it to stereo shop to have them insulate. That'll just be more money out of your pocket that you shouldn't have to spend. And I fear that it will just help insulate the noise when it could be a potential problem. I'd keep working with your dealer for a resolution.
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

I don't know how to do it but on youtube there is a thread about 2012 Equinox noise at 55 mph mine make's this same roar and other people I know say there;s is quiet. mine has made this roaring noise since new .it is still new has now 7000 miles on it has been to dealer almost every month since buying it .all thogh most of the time they do not make out any paper work, for me.I have hd the service writer drive it .he say sound like all the rest ,the service manger say yes it makes noise but the other one you drove was nosy to. The general manager drove it he said yes it does have wind noise and road noise but they all do .maybe you should buy an Enclave they are quiet. That is what we always use when we have to go some place. I still don't understand how Chevrolet can put so much engineering into a new vehicle and than sell it with so much noise and will not even attempt to help find what is making that noise. and yes I have a case #71-1189275527.

Quick Reply: Roaring noise in cabin