Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Rock Auto SKP Lower Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2020, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rock Auto SKP Lower Control Arm

Purchased SKP front left side lower control arm from Rock Auto. On installation noticed the ball joint nut a different size castle nut than original needing a 19 mm wrench instead of the OEM 18mm. Note here that the control arm did not include a new cotter pin. Then loaded the lower control arm with a jack so that the pressure would push it up through to be able to tighten the castle nut. The bolt to which the castle nut resided dug into the CV joint. Sheesh!

Then, began screwing the castle nut down wondering how far it would go. The castle nut went about 8 threads below the cotter pin hole.

Gotta be the shank on the bolt is too skinny allowing the ball joint to push up too far?

I'm not very happy now. Either I've made a stupid mistake (possible as I'm an idiot sometimes) or the SKP Lower Control Arm Assembly is out of spec.

Thoughts?
Old August 31st, 2020, 8:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Double check the part numbers to make sure that you ordered /received the correct part. Rockauto will take back parts. Since you already installed it, this might cause a problem.
Old August 31st, 2020, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

The part came in a seal plastic bag with the right part number on it. Since the part is half installed on the vehicle, I can't see it all but assume it is the same part as the label on the bag. Of course, I could be mistaken.

That's a great suggestion! Thank you. Also, I filled out a return authorization last night for Rock Auto.
Old August 31st, 2020, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Rockauto SKP is JUNK

Just pulled out the Rockauto SKP part and compared it to the Dorman OE from Advance Auto Parts. I verified all part numbers to be consistent MY MY, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The SKP looks like it was hand welded by a first time welder. Also, very different engineering. The ball joint itself is longer and the shank is thinner. Here's some pictures. SKP left, Dorman OE right:

SKP left, Dorman OE right

SKP left, Dorman OE right. Pushing down rubber as far as it will go. SKP goes all the way down.

SKP left, Dorman OE right

SKP left, Dorman OE right, verification of part numbers

SKP left, Dorman OE right. Notice difference in engineering.

SKP left, Dorman OE right. Looks like beginner welded SKP.
Old September 7th, 2020, 10:42 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have been having trouble with correct parts from Rock Auto. Sent me 2 different lifts for rear hatch and serpentine belt tensioner that was different configuration from original. Was a real PIA to install. I compare prices with local parts stores and buy local when possible. Not worth the trouble.