Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2022, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to find out if Chevy every fixed this problem. I have a 2010 V6 with 130K miles and now it is pulling the Check engine and Stabiltrak light issues. Was there ever a fix other than dumping the car. I like pretty well until this gremlin problem showed up. And every post seems to have a NO FIX answer for the owner.

Suggestions? other than drive my old 1997 truck and get rid of the Equinox??
Old August 26th, 2022, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Is that fix something my mechanic would know where to fix or add the wire?? Have you had anymore trouble after the ground wire fix???
Old September 24th, 2022, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same Issue, ANY FIXES

So I bought a 2016 chevy equinox 3 months ago and had the stabitrak alert flash on my dash also. When I checked my mychevy app it showed several different warnings which startled me because the car had run fine until then. The dealership mechanic had it towed to their shop as I told them it wasn't safe for me to drive. I finally get a message 3 days later that they are ordering a new fuse box for it to see if that solves the problem after originally telling me it just needs a new battery. Has anyone tried the fuse box replacement and did it work? Or is there no actual fix to this?
Old January 1st, 2023, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Chevy cruze

Drove my 2014 Chevy Cruze from texas to Alaska. No issues. Heard a clicking sound when I tried to start it. After a couple days it wouldn’t start. Changed the battery. Changed the starter. Now the Stabilitrak message pops up and the light for it on my dashboard. The check engine light also popped up after both were changed and the car keeps jerking when it’s on. Not sure what to do next. Any advice?

QUOTE=benf2010;277561]I can sympathize with these users on the safety and quality of StabiliTrak and how these "modern" vehicles handle. In NO WAY, should a vehicle sacrifice the well-being of the engine/transmission for the safety of it's passengers.

Chevy Dealer told me today that if critical errors are found even when driving, the system goes in to a protection mode. That's fine but if it enters the mode while trying to cross a busy intersection or on congested highway, Chevy is going to have to answer for the mortality rate of the drivers killed by stalling or slow moving vehicles struck in these scenarios.

Bought a 2011 Cruze LT 6 Speed auto w/1.4L Turbo about 4 weeks ago. The car has 17,365 miles on it. Driving on a main highway at 70 mph my check engine MIL came on. It flashed at first and I understand the severity of the flashing Check Engine MIL so I started getting pulling over toward the side of the road immediately and slowing down to check on what the issue was. In the middle of lane changing making my way over, the Stabilitrak light comes on and the console message center informs me to "Service StabiliTrak". Thankfully I was almost on the shoulder of the road (at 30mph) when my RPMs dip and the brakes seem to slow the car easily but then they suddenly caught a lot more firmly, lunging me forward in my seat and bucking the car hard.

I looked at the codes thrown by the ECM and I got a P0700 & U0100. So I'm not sure if there is an ECM/communication issues with this vehicle or if the transmission has an issue or both. After spending over 25 minutes on the shoulder of the highway, I started looking at fuses, wiring harness connections and even fluid levels just to be sure. I found nothing out of place or questionable. I started the car and the Check Engine MIL and Stabilitrak MIL were off as if nothing happened. The codes were not cleared from the computer and they are in memory still but I may not be here if this thing did this happen at 70 mph. I wanted to try and carefully duplicate the issue because I know how dealerships work. I could not duplicate the hard stop issue like what happened at first but I have been trying to duplicate the issue. The closest thing I could get is after starting the Cruze, about 1 - 2 minutes with the car idling in Park, the Stabilitrak MIL light would come on, the status console would display "Service StabiliTrak". Also, when this occurred briefly the RPMs and Oil Pressure gauge dropped but the fuel gauge was unaffected and remained at a constant level. Some times it throws another message on the console "Service Traction Control". Once in a while, these codes will flash up more frequently over the course of one drive cycle and the ECM will automatically disable the Traction Control System/StabiliTrak.

I carefully made my way home (70 mi) without any issues. Not sure what the intermittent issue is but if this happens at faster speed similar to the way it was the first time this happened, there's a good chance I'm not walking away from it. Jersey highways are crazy dangerous and I can't be throwing the dice with my life trying to get around saving some gas money.

If Chevy is the reputable company that they hope to be, they won't leave this issue go by the wayside. I have used all Chevy Trucks (at least 4) and have had a lot of success with them. I was and still am hoping that we can say the same about their cars.[/QUOTE]
Old January 31st, 2024, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gemleroy
I have a 2010 Equinox with less than 35k miles. Since August we have been experiencing problems with the Stabilitrak. The engine runs but we lose power. The first time I took it to the dealer they could not figure out what happened. They had it for about a week and returned it hoping they fixed it. It happened again a month later, almost stranding my daughter-in-law on a busy highway. We took it in again and they could not figure out why this continues to happen. They're not able to replicate the issue, they drive it for a few days and all seems to be working. The 3rd time this happened the message came on again to service Stabilitrak, the check engine light came on and the car had almost no power. the engine continues to run but we could not drive more than 25 miles per hr. We luckily made it to the dealer and kept the engine running. They could not read the error code using a portable diagnostic reader so they kept the car and replaced the throttle box. Again, hoping this would be the answer. Yesterday the car began shifting gears really hard and bam...error message and loss of power again. We let the car sit for an hour and started it again. It seemed to have some power but after driving it a few miles it loss power and we coasted off the highway (I10 in Houston I might add which was extremely scary!). Let it sit again for 20 minutes and the car started up again, no Stabilitrak error but the check engine light is on and RPM's were running high. We pulled off the highway to fill up and the care & ran OK, although a very scary few miles on a busy interstate. We are taking it back to the dealer service center again but would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I owned a 2007 Equinox and I loved it prior to purchasing the 2010 used with 23k miles. I don't put that many miles on my car and take very good care of my vehicle. We've always been a Chevy household but I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the problems we've been experiencing and the fact that even the dealership isn't able to fix it. I am crossing my fingers but have little hope they will figure it out. Not sure we will invest in Chevy ever again.
Hello I have a 2010 equinox and I’m having the same issue my service stability track system keeps going on and off and my check engine light been blinking on and off. I took it to the dealers ship and to car repair shops nobody can help me. They said I needed a tune up but that didn’t work either. It’s shaking a little bit and it’s becoming real frustrating. Also my RPM is running high when I’m on the freeway and I have to pull over and put my hazards on. It’s dangerous and I’m getting tired of this suv. He sold me a lemon and I’m about to complain to his company

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; January 31st, 2024 at 4:18 PM.
Old January 31st, 2024, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Prettylady84
I took it to the dealers ship and to car repair shops nobody can help me.
Sounds like they don't know how to fix cars. They didn't diagnose or test drive properly .
Never go to the dealership. Find yourself a trustworthy independent mechanic. Ask around for referrals from your friends/family/coworkers or look at online reviews.
The following users liked this post:
Prettylady84 (February 1st, 2024)
Old February 1st, 2024, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Sounds like they don't know how to fix cars. They didn't diagnose or test drive properly .
Never go to the dealership. Find yourself a trustworthy independent mechanic. Ask around for referrals from your friends/family/coworkers or look at online reviews.
Right I took mines to three shops in one day! First shop said my transmission and engine control module went out he lied. Took it to the 2nd shop and he said all three of my catalytic converters was gone and said the person who did my tune up did it wrong which was the first shop who did my tuneup. They said it’s misfiring. Third shop said my timing chain and it’s messing up the catalytic converter. I can’t trust anyone and at this point I’m not giving them my money. Last shop said to take it to the dealership but people said the dealership can’t figure it out either smh.
Old February 1st, 2024, 3:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Prettylady84
my service stability track system keeps going on and off and my check engine light been blinking on and off.
When the warning lights are on, it means there's trouble codes stored in the computer. Did any of the shops tell you what the codes are?
A blinking light indicates misfiring, so they weren't lying about that. Unfortunately, there are MANY possible causes for misfire, so further diagnosis is required.

If you want to get the codes yourself, just take it to a parts dealers (Autozone, Oreily, Advance, etc.) and ask for a complimentary diagnostic scan. They'll give you a printout.
You can also look the codes up on obd-codes.com to find out what they mean, and how they're fixed.