Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Shop repair (NOT) nightmare

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2014, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop repair (NOT) nightmare

So we recently picked up a clean low mileage 117K 2008 Equinox Sport AWD in great shape overall. It had a the CEL on when we test drove it so as part of the negotiations it was agreed by the salesman that their shop would find the problem and fix or repair what needed to be fixed to make the code go away. Well the P0420 code is:
The code's description is Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). OK, now tell me that again in plain English please.... let's break it down: the catalyst system being referred to is your three-way catalytic converter; so the catalytic converter is not working properly (i.e. it's not efficient). Bank 1 refers to the side of the engine which contains cylinder #1. So, to really simply things let's just say that the efficiency of the catalytic converter and/or exhaust pipe and/or O2 sensor is not so great. Anything below 95% efficient will throw the code.

I found this out by doing my own research AFTER they wasted a day and 1/2 working on the vehicle only to have the CEL pop up again when I was driving it home....... So I pull into OReilley's to use their code reader, only to find out it is the SAME EXACT CODE as before P0420. So I call the shop and chew them out for a while and they profusely apologize and say they will do whatever it takes to make it right. OK so I get home and figure I'm wanting to take a look at their work to see what took them so long to change out a catalytic converter.
NOW here is where the story gets interesting...........
I jack it up and see THIS:
1- The WRONG cat has been replaced (bank 2 cat, which is on the left side of the motor)= Strike one
2- They used FLEX PIPE to go between the cat and the now hacked up exhaust pipe (Yes the same stuff shadetree mechanics use when installing glass packs on their 78 Chevy trucks and don't have the right size or length pipe to make it fit right.= Strike Two
3- They also used a standard U shaped muffler clamp to attach above mentioned flex pipe. =Strike 3
4- The muffler clamp has the U facing up and the tips of the threaded studs are millimeters away from contacting the bottom of the oil pan.= Strike 4
5- There is this goop/sealant smeared ALL OVER every seam and completely around the 02 sensor bung....Wait, WHAT? = Strike 5
6- The flex pipe is longer than needed so it hangs down approximately 1 1-1/2" lower than any other part of the already low exhaust system, just asking to get crushed or dented. And oh BTW when that happens those nice threaded studs will shoot right into the oil pan..........=STRIKE 6 THEY ARE OUT!

So I will be calling this so called ASE certified shop this morning and explaining to them that I want the first un-needed HACK JOB removed and replaced with an OEM cat and pipe along with the ACTUAL defective cat replaced with another OEM unit and all the work done by a muffler shop of MY CHOOSING. Is this too much to ask? Am I being overly critical of their work?

I must add that we got it from a small private car lot. Our experience with the sales staff was very good; no pressure, no slick sales pitches, good honest communication, and we got quite a deal from the "asking price" too. Mind you we like the vehicle. It had a clean Carfax (one owner with no accidents or problems) I KNOW this code is not that big of a deal except for the fact that the CEL disables the factory autostart and renders it useless until you clear the code. But with all that said it does not excuse the craptastic work done by the shop. And they WILL be held accountable. I am not an ASC certified mechanic but I've spent enough time (40+ years) wrenching on anything with a motor to know a hack job when I see one. I think I'm going to take some pictures of it just for posterity and piece of mind IF the shop decides to get sideways with me.
Old November 28th, 2014, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation A picture is worth 1000 words

here are 5000 words
Attached Thumbnails Shop repair (NOT) nightmare-dscf8866.jpg   Shop repair (NOT) nightmare-dscf8867.jpg   Shop repair (NOT) nightmare-dscf8868.jpg   Shop repair (NOT) nightmare-dscf8870.jpg   Shop repair (NOT) nightmare-dscf8872.jpg  

Old November 28th, 2014, 9:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

whoever did that shouldn't even be backyarding. Would make me question other things...like the safety check.
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

The sad thing is the shop service writer (counter person) doesn't understand why I have a problem with it.........

On a better note I spoke with the manager and owner of the sales lot and they completely agree with me (even before I emailed the pictures to him) and are committed to making things right, whatever it takes. Which will be ripping out that craptastic hack job, replacing it with an OEM cat and then replacing the CORRECT defective one on the other side of the motor with another OEM replacement cat. All this work will be done by a reputable local muffler shop of MY choosing. We will see.
Old November 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

That looks terrible. I think my 8 year-old nephew could do a better job than that. They should have taken it to an exhaust shop. Most will test the catalytic converter(s) to make sure it is in fact bad before they quote you hundreds of dollars to replace it. I sure hope the O2 sensor was replaced with on OEM-equivalent (NOT universal) part first. A bad downstream oxygen sensor also can cause the P0420 code, and is much cheaper to replace.
Old November 29th, 2014, 4:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Wow, OMG, WTF, never seen work of this caliber before - did I say wow?
Old November 29th, 2014, 6:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Cat's are covered under the warranty for 8 years or 130000km warranty, may be too late now.

of course i am talking km and your talking k as in thousand or km. so only 80,000miles

Last edited by burhead1; November 29th, 2014 at 6:15 PM.
Old November 30th, 2014, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

I recently spoke to the owner of the company and he has promised me that they will do whatever it takes to make it right with me. He has had an hour long meeting with his shop foreman and then a 30 minute rally the troops speech with ALL the mechanics to address this incident. They will be ordering OEM replacement parts (THIS TIME) and make it look factory original. Which means BOTH cats and all 4 02 sensors will be replaced. I will be allowed to inspect the work when it is completed, and IF I am not satisfied with any part of it they will fix whatever needs fixing. We will see.......
Old November 30th, 2014, 8:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff
I recently spoke to the owner of the company and he has promised me that they will do whatever it takes to make it right with me. He has had an hour long meeting with his shop foreman and then a 30 minute rally the troops speech with ALL the mechanics to address this incident. They will be ordering OEM replacement parts (THIS TIME) and make it look factory original. Which means BOTH cats and all 4 02 sensors will be replaced. I will be allowed to inspect the work when it is completed, and IF I am not satisfied with any part of it they will fix whatever needs fixing. We will see.......
Why would they replace the two upstream oxygen sensors? There's no reason to do this at all.
Old November 30th, 2014, 1:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

I would have the work done by a real mechanic at their cost - I wouldn't let these guys near my car again!

Quick Reply: Shop repair (NOT) nightmare