Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Throttle body replacement

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2014, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Throttle body replacement

I am an engineer and have a 2010 Equinox, bought it new in 2010, and now has 80,000 miles and here is the list of troubles so far...
  • burns oil
  • timing belt failed
  • fuel pump leaks gas into engine
  • throttle body control failure

This is a ridiculous list of mechanical failures for a 4 year old car that has had regular oil changes, no accidents, and is driven exclusively on the highway 60 miles/day to work and back. Very easy mileage, the brake pads are not even worn enough yet to need replacement.

The leaking fuel pump allowed fuel into the crankcase and corroded the timing chain (Chevy admitted to that one and after two visits to the dealer and $200 in checkout fees they agreed to replace it under recall). The would not admit the following though. Having fuel in the crankcase also contributed to premature wearing of the cylinder piston rings, and valves, causing excessive oil burning. The engine sucks about a quart every 1,000 miles, which is way too much.

The recent throttle sensor failure (see attached) cost $440 since Chevy designed the sensor to be integrated into the throttle body (nice thinking engineers). This simple resistive element part also should have lasted much longer than it did, which makes me think they must be buying these parts in China and consumers are not aware of the poor quality of these components until they failure prematurely.

All in all, as an engineer and experienced mechanic, I am very upset with GM. They need to vastly improve their component quality and engineering.

I am going back to Fords, at least I have some success with these and much greater confidence in their engineering.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle body replacement-throttle-body.jpg  

Last edited by eeguru; January 17th, 2015 at 2:38 PM.
Old December 31st, 2014, 7:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by eeguru
I am an engineer and have a 2010 Equinox, bought it new in 2010, and now has 80,000 miles and here is the list of troubles so far...
  • burns oil
  • timing belt failed
  • water pump leaks into engine
  • throttle body control failure

This is a ridiculous list of mechanical failures for a 4 year old car that has had regular oil changes, no accidents, and is driven exclusively on the highway 60 miles/day to work and back. Very easy mileage, the brake pads are not even worn enough yet to need replacement.

The leaking water pump allowed anti-freeze into the crankcase and corroded the timing chain (Chevy admitted to that one and after two visits to the dealer and $200 in checkout fees they agreed to replace it under recall). The would not admit the following though. Having water in the crankcase also contributed to premature wearing of the cylinder piston rings, and valves, causing excessive oil burning. The engine sucks about a quart every 1,000 miles, which is way too much.

The recent throttle sensor failure (see attached) cost $440 since Chevy designed the sensor to be integrated into the throttle body (nice thinking engineers). This simple resistive element part also should have lasted much longer than it did, which makes me think they must be buying these parts in China and consumers are not aware of the poor quality of these components until they failure prematurely.

All in all, as an engineer and experienced mechanic, I am very upset with GM. They need to vastly improve their component quality and engineering.

I am going back to Fords, at least I have some success with these and much greater confidence in their engineering.
Hi there,

We truly apologize for the unexpected concerns involving your Equinox. We certainly do not want a negative experience to come from your vehicle ownership. We would be happy to look into this further, and provide any additional information. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the preferred dealership you work with. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Here are the specs on the 2010 Equinox:
Current Mileage; 87,200

VIN: 2CNALBEW4A6215597

My preferred Chevy dealer is Ken Garf in American Fork, UT

Last edited by eeguru; January 2nd, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old January 1st, 2015, 7:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Here are the specs on the 2010 Equinox:
Current Mileage; 87,200
VIN: xxx

My preferred Chevy dealer is Ken Garf in American Fork, UT

My contact info:
xxx
xxx (cell)

xxx
I strongly suggest that you edit your post and delete the items I've removed in the quote above. You don't want everyone on the internet to be able to find it in a Google search. Send them a private message instead.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default no email address has been provided

okay, so this is the second time that you have suggested a "private" email however no email address has been provided...
Old January 3rd, 2015, 3:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

okay, so this is the second time that you have suggested a "private" email however no email address has been provided...
You don't send them an email. You use the functionality built into the forum to send them a private message. To do this, click on their screen name in the upper left corner of one of their posts. Then click on the Send Message link located on the left side under their profile picture. Then click on the link that appears to access the interface to send a message which looks similar to what you see when you post in a thread. To read their response, click on the Private Messages link that is visible in the upper right corner of every page you are on when logged in.

I hope this helps.
Old January 17th, 2015, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Pistons replaced

So this week I took the Equinox back in complaining about low compression and burning oil. They responded by stating the Equinox needed to "replace pistons, fuel pump and timing belt". While I am grateful this is covered under a recall it in insane that all of this is needed. I am hoping that the new fuel pump doesn't leak (original problem).
Old January 17th, 2015, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

No worries, I am having similar issues with throttle body system as well.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...e2/#post293409

Also burning through oil with a 2011 Equinox
Old January 31st, 2015, 5:56 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Throttle Body

I have had the same problem with the throttle body costing me about 450.00 to repair as well as 440.00 for car rental because I need my car to work. I lost pay because I refused to rent a car another day.This was the first time I bought a CHEVY and it will be my last. Chevy's used to be built to last. I am preparing to get rid of it before the summer. In the past 22 years I have never been pulled over on the highway because of a broke down vehicle. I take really good care of my vehicles. I sold my other 2 vehicles depending on Chevy's old reputation and look where's it got me. If one more repair is need before the summer I will take my loses and sell it to the scrap yard.
Old February 9th, 2015, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Chevrolet Equinox Throttle Body Replacement

I am the increasingly unhappy owner of a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox (3.0L 6 cylinder AWD). A disconcerting issue occurred today where in busy highway traffic I experienced a sudden engine slowdown with accompanying warning message. With two cars just missing slamming into us, I was able to get school-aged daughter and myself safely to the shoulder of the road. I switched off the ignition, waited 30 seconds and got going again with the malfunction indicator light staying on. I drove (slowly) to the closet GM dealer who diagnosed a faulty throttle body costing $500+ to replace, which is not covered by the power train warranty.
This vehicle has only 60K miles and is the latest (and scariest) problem in a series of issues associated with this vehicle. Beyond the normal replacement items (tires, brakes), I have replaced a catalytic converter component, the left rear wheel bearing, the rear wiper drive motor and the heater blend door actuator. These repairs have cost me than $1,000 in just over a year, which I believe, is unacceptable for a four-year-old vehicle with lower mileage. Given these costs, I am not even considering addressing an inoperative power seat and a console display which appears to intermittently (and inexplicably) dim.
Up to now i have exclusively purchased GM products (i also own a 2012 Buick), while vigorously defending their design and quality. Right now I am thinking my next purchase will be with another vendor.
<Sigh>

Quick Reply: Throttle body replacement